Skip to main content
Topic: Rear wiper working but washer isnt (Read 366 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear wiper working but washer isnt

Hello, Im new member here and im hoping someone can help me to sort out my problem. My golf mk2 is 1988year and the front washer and the rear washer share the same pump and bottle in the engine bay. The thing is that the pump is working in the two directions when i swap + and - but when i plug the connector for the washer and i pull the stalks for front washer the front washer is working but when i press the stalks for rear wiper and the washer only the wiper is working. I have tested the stalks and relays everything is ok. But behind the fusebox i have blue/green wire which i dont know where it goes. I have tested that bl/green wire has voltage when i activate the stalks for rear washer. Does someone know where that wire goes?  i can post a picture later

Re: Rear wiper working but washer isnt

Reply #1
Hello, Im new member here and im hoping someone can help me to sort out my problem. My golf mk2 is 1988year and the front washer and the rear washer share the same pump and bottle in the engine bay. The thing is that the pump is working in the two directions when i swap + and - but when i plug the connector for the washer and i pull the stalks for front washer the front washer is working but when i press the stalks for rear wiper and the washer only the wiper is working. I have tested the stalks and relays everything is ok. But behind the fusebox i have blue/green wire which i dont know where it goes. I have tested that bl/green wire has voltage when i activate the stalks for rear washer. Does someone know where that wire goes?  i can post a picture later

Are you sure the pump is not working, could it just be a blockage/kink in the water pipe running to the rear?

Reply #2
in the haynes manual, there are wiring diagrams with colorings,
but i couldn't identify the cable you described.

Reply #3
Just in case for anyone searching, I also had an issue with wash not working, but for me it's the front wash.

Wipers fine, no wash - no pump whir. Slightly worried by the cracking noise as I started to remove the ignition cover to get to the contacts, I just gave up on the strip down and shot a few bursts of contact cleaner into the stalk aperture and worked it in. Back to working condition! Note, I bought a larger can of WD40 contact cleaner direct from Screwfix - amazon was nearly double the price for a smaller can. Watch the prices!

The rear wash also isn't squirting, though the pump is whirring. Another day for that.