Skip to main content
Topic: Price Query (Read 390 times) previous topic - next topic

Price Query

I recently became the owner of a Golf GTI 16V 1992 (left to me in a will) with a mileage of 89000 miles on the clock. It is a 5-door version in Tornado red with 1 previous owner from 1992 up until May of this year (my grandmothers). I am looking to get a ballpark price for this as I don't currently own a garage to keep it in (it has been garaged for 30 years and there is very minimal rust on the vehicle).

Re: Price Query

Reply #1
Hi, I’m sorry to hear about your grandmother.  It sounds like a decent example of a Mk2.  Did the car ever have an agreed valuation with an insurance company?
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #2
I don’t believe so

Reply #3
Hard to say without seeing it. And even what looks perfect will no doubt have rot if you start poking. Especially under the plastic arch trims etc.

But a low (one) owner and low mileage car will always be a premium.

In showroom condition a car like that would probably fetch £15-20k. Even as a running project car it would still fetch over £5k.

If it’s non-running or running rough maybe not so much.

I assume it’s not been used in a while, so no MOT and in need of recommissioning?

The k-jet fuel injection system can corrode internally if left unused. If there are running issues it will cost in the region of £2k to recondition the fuel injection system.

It’s easy to sink £10-15k into a complete restoration. Especially if you’re paying others to do the work and not doing as much as you can yourself.

Hopefully that will help you gauge where it sits, depending on what it needs doing.

Reply #4
what ever you do later,
perhaps a car cover foil could help to preserve the beautiful car.

edit: i do not know the quality or how it fits,
but, in case it would help, i just stumbled over a cover foil on werk34.
durable foils, like hopefully this one, doesn't seem to be cheap, unfortunately.