Skip to main content
Topic: 1.6 GL rough idle  (Read 487 times) previous topic - next topic

1.6 GL rough idle

Hello friends, i was wondering what could cause rough idle. usually its fine and barely noticable but revs start to really struggle when i press on accelerator (when in neutral). anyone has any idea what could be the issue ? any help appreciated.

Re: 1.6 GL rough idle

Reply #1
Hello friends, i was wondering what could cause rough idle. usually its fine and barely noticable but revs start to really struggle when i press on accelerator (when in neutral). anyone has any idea what could be the issue ? any help appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is the case for you, but a common issue with carburettor cars is the rubber mount the carb sits on, it can split.

So often on tick-over it can be fine as the weight of the carb keeps it in place, but as you increase load the mount is pulled apart letting in excess air and gives problems.

This is the first issue to eliminate.
Run the car on idle and from the engine bay try to lift, or rock (push back or pull forward) the car, if the idle speed changes then this is likely your fault.

If this is not your issue then more information will likely to be required. Such as what carb do you have, the original Pierburg or a replacement Webber?

Reply #2
Hello, i tried to rock it but nothing really changed idle is the same as usual. carburator is standard pierburg one, could it potentially be something else besides carburator ? i dont really have any issues with the car besides this rough idle. thank you for responding

Reply #3
Take the carb off and check the rubber mount is not knackered.  I recommend a Febi Bilstein one if it is, its far better quality.  If that's not the issue, whilst its off, unscrew the top of the carb and check the float bowl.  I had similar issues, and I found the float bowl was full of crap. The idle jet is like a long tube that hangs down from the lid of the carb and the end is very small and sits in the float bowl.  Its very easy for a small bit of crap to block the end.  The other possibility is the accellerator pump jet might not be working, either cause its blocked or the diaphram is split.  There is a gasket set for these carbs.  These carbs are seen as being very complex, and the added peripheral parts certainly are, but the actual carb itself is not that complex.  There are some you tube videos where a guy strips them down (search for Peirburg 2e2).  They are in Russian (dont laugh :D ), but if you switch auto translated subtitles on its easy to get the gist of what he's saying, and the information is very helpful.  A can of carb cleaner, and an hour of blasting through the passages will likely fix it.
https://youtu.be/moIAQw6XJYs

Reply #4
Also worth checking vacuum pipes for leaks and the voltage regulator.

Reply #5
thanks for replies :D i will try checking this out

Reply #6
in my case, it was the exhaust manifold gasket.

other symptoms where running hot on 3/4
and the yellow mixture warning light lighting up occasionally.

do you have those, too ?

Reply #7
hey, nope no warning lights in my case. everything seems fine besides rough idle