Skip to main content
Topic: Headlamp Bulbs for 1990 Driver (Read 438 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlamp Bulbs for 1990 Driver

This 1990 Driver has supplementary high beam lights inboard of the standard H4 headlights (like a GTI?).

What is the correct designation for the bulbs that fit in the supplementary high beams?

Some years ago a separate headlight loom was fitted, which took power direct from the battery, and worked quite well but it now seems to have developed a fault such that the nearside high beam (both in the standard headlight and the extra high beam are not working.  Low beam working normally both sides.  It's going to fail its MOT tomorrow due to this, assuming high beams must work to pass MOT.

Will it be relatively easy for my MOT man to remove the dedicated loom and return the lights to normal spec?

Subsequently, I am considering converting to LED bulbs.  Are these produced also for the supplementary high beam lights?  That's why I need to know the correct designation for them in particular.

Re: Headlamp Bulbs for 1990 Driver

Reply #1
Here's a list of all the bulbs throughout the car that I compiled a while back.

https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=242.0

With regards to LED, I belive if you just fit LED bulbs in your current lamps it will fail and MOT. You cannot retro fit LED bulbs.
It's worth checking but I think to pass an MOT with LED or HID these days you need to fit an entire light unit. I'm not aware of any direct fit LED headlights for a Mk2 but I'm aware some people have made modification to get units to fit.

The extended loom you have should be simple enough to unplug and revert back to normal.

Reply #2
This 1990 Driver has supplementary high beam lights inboard of the standard H4 headlights (like a GTI?).

What is the correct designation for the bulbs that fit in the supplementary high beams?

Some years ago a separate headlight loom was fitted, which took power direct from the battery, and worked quite well but it now seems to have developed a fault such that the nearside high beam (both in the standard headlight and the extra high beam are not working.  Low beam working normally both sides.  It's going to fail its MOT tomorrow due to this, assuming high beams must work to pass MOT.

Will it be relatively easy for my MOT man to remove the dedicated loom and return the lights to normal spec?

Subsequently, I am considering converting to LED bulbs.  Are these produced also for the supplementary high beam lights?  That's why I need to know the correct designation for them in particular.
I have the harness as well.  They take the power from the LHS wiring, and use that as a relay trigger to power both sides.  If the high beam is working on the RHS and not the LHS I'd replace the LHS bulb with a new one.  That's the most likely cause of the fault.

Reply #3
If the high beam isn't working in both the headlight and the inner spot lamp it's more likely to be wiring related.  It would be unlikely the high beam in the H4 headlight bulb and the H3 spot lamp bulb have blown together (but don't take it for granted).

If it's easy to do can you swap the left for right connections of the loom. If then the RHS high beam fails on both sides you'll know it's within the extended loom.
To test bulbs swap the left int right and vice versa.

If still no joy I would suggest unplug the loom and return to stock and see if that works, if it doesn't at least it's taken that out of the equation. It might be as simple as corroded connections. Just have a look around for the copper connectors going blue/green and clean everything up. Good luck.

The good news, (I think) it's unlikely to be an issue any further back, so not the fuse box, light switch or stalk as it won't effect only one side. It has to be limited to the bulbs, bulb holders or loom within the engine bay.

Reply #4
Can speak for Martin109, but my uprated loom only plugs into the headlights, the spot lights run off the original wiring.

Reply #5
Can speak for Martin109, but my uprated loom only plugs into the headlights, the spot lights run off the original wiring.

Yes I'm aware, but if the uprated loom had break in the wire for the highbeam function on the main headlight, I assume it wouldn't feed the high beam inner spot lamp, as they run in series piggybacking off the main headlight? As least that's how I understand they work.

Reply #6

Yes I'm aware, but if the uprated loom had break in the wire for the highbeam function on the main headlight, I assume it wouldn't feed the high beam inner spot lamp, as they run in series piggybacking off the main headlight? As least that's how I understand they work.
If the uprated loom has a break in the wire to the headlight highbeam, then neither headlight would work on the highbeam.  To fit it all you do is remove the LHS headlight connector and plug it in.  Then it uses the original wires for the lhs to trigger a pair of relays to take a direct feed from the battery to both headlights.  The feed to the spot lights is straight off the original wiring.  Would be easy to use a multi meter to check if there is current to the lights not working though.