Skip to main content
Topic: Where does Mk2 read its odometer from? (Read 337 times) previous topic - next topic

Where does Mk2 read its odometer from?

Hi all,

A friend has a Mk2 which currently has a none working odometer which packed up a few weeks ago so the distance recorded is no longer changing.  We have replaced his clocks but the problem persists. 

Does anyone know where the Mk2 actually reads the odometer from, what provides the signal?  On my E30 there is just a pulse generator sensor on the back of the diff which can often cause this sort of failure, is there something similar on the Mk2?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Where does Mk2 read its odometer from?

Reply #1
Hi all,

A friend has a Mk2 which currently has a none working odometer which packed up a few weeks ago so the distance recorded is no longer changing.  We have replaced his clocks but the problem persists. 

Does anyone know where the Mk2 actually reads the odometer from, what provides the signal?  On my E30 there is just a pulse generator sensor on the back of the diff which can often cause this sort of failure, is there something similar on the Mk2?

Thanks in advance.

It's mechanical and works off the back of the cable speedo drive.

There is a small arrangement of plastic cogs and worm wheels inside the speedo drive. It is possible to dismantle the speedo unit and fix them.

It's odd that a second set of clocks has not solved the issue, but it is possible that the replacement clocks had the same fault. Does the speedo work correctly without fluctuation? If not it could be possible the cable is not fully clicked home. it is quite hard to get it to snap into place.

Re: Where does Mk2 read its odometer from?

Reply #2
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

It's mechanical and works off the back of the cable speedo drive.

There is a small arrangement of plastic cogs and worm wheels inside the speedo drive. It is possible to dismantle the speedo unit and fix them.

It's odd that a second set of clocks has not solved the issue, but it is possible that the replacement clocks had the same fault. Does the speedo work correctly without fluctuation? If not it could be possible the cable is not fully clicked home. it is quite hard to get it to snap into place.

Ahh thats great, thank you for the reply.  Yeah I thought surely we haven't got two sets of faulty clocks hence thinking there must be a pulse sensor somewhere lol!  Hopefully get chance to have a look at the cable tomorrow.  Thanks again :-)