Skip to main content
Topic: replacing gearbox in 1.3. what else do i need?  (Read 292 times) previous topic - next topic

replacing gearbox in 1.3. what else do i need?

hi all,

i have a replacement gearbox for my 1.3 4 speed now but want to make sure i have everything i need so i can take it to a garage and tell them to fit it.
should i replace the clutch? it has done 54k miles and the bite is low but it could well be 30 odd years old?
also are there any seals or any other little bits i should get?

thanks

Re: replacing gearbox in 1.3. what else do i need?

Reply #1
As a minimum it makes sense to do the clutch kit, and replace the oil.

I guess it depends how far you want to take it you could do a lot more of preventative maintenance.

I'm not sure if the driveshaft bolts are stretch bolts. I have reused them in the past, but have also had them come lose afterwards. So threadlock at least, but maybe a new set of bolts - That would deal with any that might round off if they're a bit corroded. Hopefully they'll be covered in oil and ok. But seeing your earlier photos from when you picked the car up I might be tempted to be ready.

New driveshafts, or replacement CV joints, or at least new CV boots would mean you won't have to worry about those in the near future. You could have a replacement Speedo drive on stand by, I understand they can fall off into the gearbox if you're unlucky. And maybe a new clutch cable.

I'm not sure about seals, but I'd defo speak to whoever is doing the gearbox and find out if they're up for doing a few extra bits.

On a side note, it was nice to meet you briefly on the weekend, and get to look at the car in person. It really does look great. It's a massive achievement from what it was like before.

Reply #2
thank you! yeah the weather wasnt great so only spoke to a few people really but was still nice to have made it there.
funny you should say that about the bolts, the driveshafts bolts have worked loose a few times so i will get some new ones. its had new driveshafts and clutch cable so they are ok, and i have a new speedo cable...
so i will get a clutch kit too. hopefully ive found a mobile mechanic to do the work for me, fingers crossed!

Reply #3
Like Tim said, definitely a clutch (there's a chance it's original).
Technically, you'll need new hub nuts, as they're supposed to be one use items, but I've reused them loads of times in the past.
Just make sure they're done up RFT.

Also, like Tim said, it was nice to meet you briefly, I'd have liked to have chatted longer, but between herding the track cars and looking after my 3 year old, I only just about managed to say hello!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
I changed the clutch on my 1.6 EZ engine in May.  Whilst it was out, we changed the crank end seal, the pinion shaft seal, and the small seal in the clutch push rod.  They weren't leaking, but they are a ball ache to change later and if they do leak they can knacker a new clutch, so it made sense to do them.