Skip to main content
Topic: Trev the Atlas Grey 1988 8v GTi... six weeks of decent progress! (Read 464 times) previous topic - next topic

Trev the Atlas Grey 1988 8v GTi... six weeks of decent progress!

Hi all... Mat here, based in Nottingham, I have had the GTi for about six weeks now and have done a load of work on it so thought I had better start a forum log of what I'm up to before I forget haha! 

Its a 1998 8v PB GTi and has had everything underneath done (subframe, callipers crossmember etc all powder coated, new brake lines, new KW shocks and springs, zero rust, original under seal intact etc).  It also had a windows out (very expensive lol) full respray in 2017 and still looks perfect in the paint department.

I have bought it as a daily driver and it's a forever keeper so I have just been getting lots of bits straight that needed doing.  My other car is an 1990 straight six E30, thats pretty much completed now, I have done a few final tweaks to the new Bilstein suspension and I'm now really happy with the stance so that lives in the garage!  I also have a boring 325d three series for family stuff.

The problem is its now so perfect and I have invested so much time and effort into it I want to keep it mint in the garage.  Don't get me wrong its going to get driven plenty, but I wanted a local daily driver that I can enjoy but won't live in fear every time I park it somewhere or drive it on a rainy day haha!  So I started looking for a nice Mk2 GTi. 

I wanted an 8v as I love the torquey revvy engine and I wanted a three door so the hunt was on.  After going to look at a few and coming away disappointed I spotted this lovely car, the one slight problem, it was in Scotland

Long story short, spoke to the owner, sounded like the perfect little project (plenty of bits to do but it had a windows out respray, absolutely solid chassis with no rust and a sound engine and drive train) so it was six trains and a 7 hour journey to Scotland, the deal was done and a faultless 5 hour drive home down the A1! It was quite the day haha....

My daughter has named the GTi 'Trev' on account of the registration so he shall hence forth be referred to as such.

My plan was to just drive it as it was but I couldn't help myself so the E30 went over to my mum and dads for six weeks, the GTi went in the garage and a few days later it was in bits ready for restoration haha!

Little sneak preview of some of the work I've done... hows that for an before and after engine bay shot!

Before

After

Cam belt, water pump, oil and filter change and timing setup

First things first, they all looked in OK condition but I had no idea when any of the standard service items had last been replaced.  Compared to the E30 the cam belt on the GTi is an absolute doddle so I ordered a new belt, tensioner, water pump, 5ltrs of oil and an OEM filter. 

Stripped the aux belt, water pump and crank pulley off, removed the plastic casing and then replaced the cam belt.  After putting everything back together the throttle felt a little laggy, turns out that despite having the cam, crank and distributer all at TDC, there are two markers on the flywheel  and I had missed the tiny TDC marking, its a none interference engine so no harm done, reset everything back to the correct TDC, re-assembled and it runs like a dream :-)

I then went through the Idle and CO2 setup using the 3000k rev and the OBC to get it good to go.

Spark plugs and HT leads and powder coated rocker cover

Swapped out the spark plugs with a nice new Bosch set and then swapped out the HT leads which were looking a little rough with green corrosion in the plugs.  Having swapped them out the throttle felt even sharper! Also, powder coated the rocker cover and fitted a new gasket.

Re-covered drivers seat with a mint cover, new foams and plastic runners

This turned out to be a lot more work than I anticipated but I couldn't live with the state of the drivers seat, it was really letting the car down as with the exception of the drivers seat and the head lining the interior is absolutely perfect. 

I was able to buy and pick up a pristine matching checked passenger seat from a 5 door GTi.  I also ordered new foam seat and back from VW Herritage, stripped the old drivers seat down, cleaned everything, fitted two new tilt cables, swapped over the seat covers from the mint donor seat, installed the tilt lever and bolted everything back together and it now looks superb!

I also fitted new plastic runners and front guides so the seats are rock solid.

Gearbox service with Redline MTL, new gearbox plug and cover

Reading online everyone raves about Redline MTL fully synthetic gear oil so I splashed out on two litres of it.  Its not cheap but is apparently the best.  Drained the old oil out and it absolutely stunk, I mean not quite as bad as dif gear oil stinks but bad enough. 

Also there was only 1.5 ltrs came out and the box holds 2 ltrs!  New sump plug, refilled with 2 ltrs of the Redline and I can't tell you how good the gear change feels now, absolute butter, zero synchro crunch so Im guessing it was a combination of the lack of oil and how dirty it was.

Full coolant flush, new radiator and pipes, oil and filter change

The coolant pipes didn't look too bad but the central metal coolant pipe was looking a little worse for wear and if Im going to pull and replace that I may as well do all eight silicone hoses, new header tank and for the sake of £70 put a new radiator in as well so everything is refreshed. 

New radiator from VW Herritage along with their new 8 piece hose kit and a centre steel coolant pipe.  Took a while to get everything apart and re-installed, drained the old coolant and filled with new VW OEM coolant.

Also the engine loom cables had been cable tied to the metal coolant central pipe which seems like a recipe for disaster so I pulled the whole loomed, cleaned everything up, recovered it in fibreglass heat protective sheaths and then affixed all the cables from the loom away from the block and coolant pipes.

Another little before and after following the coolant change and the other engine bay work, all the metal degreased, taken back to bare metal, primed and painted :-)

Before

After

Flushed it through with some G12 I had and then fully emptied and filled with G11.

So pleased I did this, just look of the colour of the old coolant that came out... no oil (that film is just the dregs that were left in the plastic box after the gearbox oil change) or rust but.... urgh... brown!

Front cam seal oil leak

There was a persistent oil seal, Chris who I bought the car from let me know he had been struggling to find the source after replacing the rocker cover and the sump cover it was still dripping.  After pulling off the front cam gear it became fairly obvious it was the front cam seal.  Cleaned up, replaced and now the engine is as dry as a bone :-)

Four new tyres

The car came with some fairly low profile tyres which I wasn't keen on, from both an appearance perspective and also ride quality.  Swapped them out for four new Falken A rated in the wet and a much more pleasant ride.

Back home with the new tyres on and a much more comfortable ride now :-)

Sunroof seal and replaced cassette

The sunroof seal was looking a bit worse for wear.  Bought a new one, dismantled the whole sunroof, removed the old black paint from the sliders, took the wind deflector back to bare metal, primed it and painted it, fitted new winder cables, repainted the edge of the sunroof recess where the old hard seal had been rubbing and then rebuilt everything.  Seals like factory new now and looks much better.

New headlining

The headlining was high on the list for replacement as it was a bit like driving around in a transit van with all the bare metal rattles lol!  I tracked down a brand new replacement online which is amazing quality, fibreglass back board, absolutely perfect fitment and guaranteed to never sag again lol! 

Dismantled all the pillar trims, fixed the headliner, cut and sealed around the sunroof, bought a new winder recess and interior light trim, covered both the sunroof and light trim with the same material and then fitted everything, plugging up with OEM trim clips. 

It looks so good, just perfect and all the rattles are now gone, hurrah!

A bit if a faff (and a lot of swearing!) but installed, all the trims re-fitted and sunroof cassette rebuilt it looks fantastic and all the little rattles are gone! Just waiting for a sun visor clip for the right hand visor on its was in the post.

Shiny New Exhaust and fuel filter

The exhaust has been replaced all the way from the manifold and looks shiny silver right up until the back box and for some reason that was still original and looking a bit tatty.  New OEM back box from VW Heritage and did the fuel filter whilst I was under there too.

Full three stage DA machine polish and wax

Autofinesse three stage machine polish, finished off with Bilt Hamber cleanser polish and a coat of Bilt Hamber Speed Wax.  Its very time consuming but after a full Sunday at it the GTi came up completely swirl free and the deep sparkling metallic Atlas Grey now looks incredible!

New door and window seals

All new door seals, also the exterior window trims (VW call them scrapers) had shrunk over the last 35 years letting water into the door cavity. Stripped the door cards, cleaned all the water drains out, wax sealed the door insides and fitted new exterior rubbers.

New fog lights

The car has a big bumper setup but had no fog lights.  These are like unicorns to get your hands on but I tracked a brand new set down in Lithuania!  Turned up a week later and after a little modification to the crossmember behind they fitted straight ion using the brackets, look great!

Clean drivers lamps and painted slam panel

The slam panel was looking a little worse for wear so stripped it back to bare metal, primed and painted OEM satin black.  Also the driving lamps were looking a little milky.  Cleaned them from the inside and now they are as good as new.

Undersealed with Lanoguard

A few little breaks in the original under seal deal with around the main subframe and then undersealed the whole car with Lanoguard.  Its not cheap but goes on superb and the results I have had from the E30 make it a really worthwhile investment, especially as I intend to drive the GTi as a local daily driver :-)

Replaced all vacuum hoses

All the vacum hoses were looking a little tatty.  Order a meter of OEM pipe from VW and replaced it all, the car is now crazy sharp on the throttle and idle is absolutely rock solid so I think there may have been some perforation to the old rubber.

New Pioneer head unit and Alpine speakers

The car didn't come with a working headset so just fitted a face off Pioneer unit and some new Alpine speakers which make a nice combination.

Heat shields on the bulkhead

These were missing from the car which. isa bit of a worry haha!  Thankfully no damage to the bulkhead. 

These are just about impossible to get hold of but I had a run down to the MK2 Golf Owners National Meet on the 23rd July at Corborough Sprint Circuit and MK2 Spares kindly brought me both heat shields along. 

Fitted and now the bulkhead is safe again!

New drivers door hinge and pin

Drivers door was a little droopy and need a good shove to close.  Its fairly common on the MK2's, the door pin is made of brass so just wears over time.  Removed the door, knocked the old pin out using a small vice and a push rod, refitted the new pin and now its back to factory fitment.

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer

This stuff costs a fortune for a tiny little vile but is absolutely amazing, permanent trim restoration it brings back the original colour unlike the gel type which you have to redo every few months.  I applied this to the E30 and it still looks as good as new.  Heres a pic showing half the front end done so you can see the difference!

New passenger door handle

Door handle was a bit hit and miss on the passenger side so installed. anew door handle

New passenger window lifter and regulator

Window dropped when closing, dismantled the door and replaced the regulator, winder and lift bar, all working great now!

Metaplast Air Intake Vent

I used to love these back in the 80's and 90's and managed to find a new old stock one in Israel of all places.

Removed and cleaned all the interior and Vac washed the seats and carpets

Soooo thats where I'm at for now, very happy with the car, its water tight, undersealed, no rust, engine bays clean, the engine is incredibly sharp with the new plugs, leads and vacuum hoses, the gearbox is butter smooth and the interior is looking like a new car.

Just going to use it as a fun daily driver and enjoy that amazing little revvy GTi engine!

I had a message from someone on Facebook who used to won Trev back in the early 90's!

He sent me this amazing picture (Trev definitely looks a bit better now 30 odd years later!) and told me some history including it having two faultless European road trips to the legendary Nurburgring... absolutely awesome and I love to take it back for a third outing!

Ohh and it cam with quite a bit of history :-)

Re: Trev the Atlas Grey 1988 8v GTi... six weeks of decent progress!

Reply #1
Wow, great progress!
Can't believe how much better Trev looks now to when he did back then.
Shame I didn't recognise you at the meet, I'd have liked to have had a chat and a look around him.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Love the progress you've made, you've been busy! I recognise your logo in your photos were you taking photos with the biggest camera I've ever seen at the national meet? You took some great photos

Reply #4
Wow, great progress!
Can't believe how much better Trev looks now to when he did back then.
Shame I didn't recognise you at the meet, I'd have liked to have had a chat and a look around him.

Thank you mate :-) Yeah it looked a bit tired back in the 90's haha... glad it made it into the hands of someone who's given it a lot of TLC before ending up in my hands :-)

Reply #5
Absolutely amazing, thanks for sharing.

Reading stuff like this always makes me think of the details I never get around do dealing with on mine.

Haha cheers Eddy, yeah still got a bit of a list to go at myself yet :-)

Reply #6
Love the progress you've made, you've been busy! I recognise your logo in your photos were you taking photos with the biggest camera I've ever seen at the national meet? You took some great photos

Hahaha! Yes that was me, Im a wedding photographer but that lens is for my other hobby snapping jets through the Mach Loop... turns out it quite tricky to snap cars with it when your trying to pan at the same time :-)