Skip to main content
Topic: Suspension required!!!! (Read 317 times) previous topic - next topic

Suspension required!!!!

Hi all. Just got 'Faith' back on the road afetr some major refurb works. She is a 1989 small bumper GTi 16v, and having use dher over the weekend, I'm back in the zone!!!! I do have one question for the more experienced amongst us. I want to replace the suspension. I don't want to lower her, I want to keep her standard height, maybe uprated suspension. I just want it standard height (I'm getting old) and the roads she will be used on are Norfolk back roads mainly). I'm not looking at driving it how I used to 20 years ago, just pootle about and enjoy here. Any suggestions for where to get a decent standard height, matbe uprated kit? Do I go coil overs or stick to original type set up? Your help would be very much appreciated.

Re: Suspension required!!!!

Reply #1
If you want standard height I would not recommend coilovers.

Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs seems to be a popular OE comparable combination. With regards to stock heigh though... I'd say 99% of Golfs out there on the road have been lowered, even if just a tad. So seeing a standard height one just looks wrong. I know my previous one was stock height when I got it and it was pretty much a Golf Country. They do look better with a mild height drop and it won't effect usability.

I'd go for a 30mm drop on shocks and springs, but if not done so already I'd replace all of the rubber bushes with OE spec. 

Reply #2
If you want standard height I would not recommend coilovers.

Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs seems to be a popular OE comparable combination. With regards to stock heigh though... I'd say 99% of Golfs out there on the road have been lowered, even if just a tad. So seeing a standard height one just looks wrong. I know my previous one was stock height when I got it and it was pretty much a Golf Country. They do look better with a mild height drop and it won't effect usability.

I'd go for a 30mm drop on shocks and springs, but if not done so already I'd replace all of the rubber bushes with OE spec. 

Totally agree, when I restored my red one, a slight drop was the only modification I allowed myself.
I opted for the tried and tested Bilstein Eibach combo and it's absolutely ideal.
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
I had a good look, but you cant get stock GTi springs any more, only full height ones fitted to bread and butter models, and 30mm lowered ones like the Eibach springs.  Bilstein shocks are meant to be OE, but in my view are definitely slightly stiffer, and the handling is significantly improved even with stock springs, without ruining the ride.