Skip to main content
Topic: heater matrix bypass (Read 284 times) previous topic - next topic

heater matrix bypass

Hi.  There is no heat coming from my sons heater in his mk2 Golf driver.  I've checked the hoses to the matrix and they are cold, so I'm assuming the bypass device is seized.  I know I could just remove it, but the car is on its original matrix.  Its a very late 1991 model.  Has anyone tried to repair one of these?  I'm assuming the aluminium take off point is what clogs up inside.  I've no idea how it works.  Does it have a diaphram inside like the main thermostat?
Thanks

Re: heater matrix bypass

Reply #1
Hi,

If you still have the bypass valve, your best bet is to remove the valves completely for a piece of metal tubing.
If you're certain you still have the original heater matrix, you may as well swap it out for a new one, they're pretty cheap, though a little bit of a pain to swap out. There is a guide somewhere on here to do the swap.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
100% change the matrix.
I would expect the foam covering on the airflow direction flaps has all disintegrated by now anyway and will need replacing. So even if you get hot water to the matrix you'll never get heat into the car as you won't be able to close off the cold air from outside.

It sounds daunting, but it really is quite easy to remove the dash. Many people do the heaterbox removal with the dash in place but my personal experience it that its really not worth the effort and hardship.

With the dash out you can also check, and repair if needed the windscreen vents as the dash tends to delaminate and separate here.
It's also a good chance to change the dash speakers and it gets you a good view of the bulkhead, especially below the windscreen to check for rust and rot.

With a new matrix, get a decent branded one and you'll be fine. You can then remove the bypass and fit new hoses which are available fror B&B components (tierod69) on eBay among other places.

Reply #3
Agreed Tim.
I'd shake the dash too to get rid of any bits of sponge that are in the dash void. You may need to reinforce the dash aperture which fits over the heaterbox since it can get mis-shapen. Best do all you can whilst the dash is out.
Disintegrated foam on the heaterbox vents can be a sticky mess to sort. But pre autumn is the best time to do it.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #4
Thanks everyone.  I've ordered a new matrix and hoses.  I've looked at the various youtube videos and it doesn't look to difficult to pull the unit out.  I've already had the lower dash out to seal up the holes in the heater flaps, and taking the whole unit out doesn't involve that many extra steps.