Skip to main content
Topic: 1.3CL 86' to 2.8 24v V6 (Read 5362 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1.3CL 86' to 2.8 24v V6

Reply #45
I didn't get chance to talk with you but recognised your car. It was going well on the track!

Just like Ian, you were so far off up the end, I never got a chance to say Hi.
Looked good when it was going about though!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #46
Damn, I didn't recognise the car sorry, I hate it when I miss the opportunity to say hi.

It does make me wonder if we need some more ice-breaking activities organised, also I don't think the linear nature of the camping helps. The first year at Curborough we camped in the top field and I think that got people mingling better. Things to think about for next year.

Reply #47
First proper track day at Blyton last week with the lot from Frank's Charity Track Days.

As you can see it was a tad damp. Couldnt get any real power down, and was spinning all the way into 4th. Had one off, overshot a corner and straight onto the concrete run off so no damage done.

It's still running like crap, I've had a lot of guesses on what it might be. Currently I think it's injectors as it runs better with no fuel pressure regulator.

Reply #50
New parts ahoy! Got suckered in by black Friday didn't I  ::)  O:)

Reply #51
Another track day in the bag. Swapped onto my old Rainsports at 10:30pm the night before as the forecast looked awful. Thankfully although damp, the weather held out.

Reply #52
Stripped the Golf down to take the injectors out and send them off to R-tech to be refurbed. I mullered 2 out of 6 and borderline damaged 1. They were well stuck in. Ordered 5 from a V5 to replace the damaged ones. Apparently the flow wasn't very equal between them all so hoping they can work some magic on them! Looking forward to getting it back together already.

Mine were pretty cruddy especially around the air shroud ports, partly why I think they were so difficult to remove.

Reply #53
Really think I need a cool spoiler to finish the back of this off. Anyone got one for sale?

Reply #54
And this is why I can never have nice things. Because I'll probably damage them.  :-X  :'(

Reply #55
Bummer, but at least it's just the lip and not the painted body that protrudes.
If you look at the end of my post here I fixed my wheel that was worse than that with a cheap DA I got from Amazon. So far I've only done one wheel as a trial and didn't got so far as to a finished polish. Your damage is minimal so you'd be able to sand that back and polish no trouble.

Reply #56
Can you get away with wider tyres?
Might stop it happening again in the future and give you a little more grip on the track.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #57
Apologies for the slow reply, I really should check back here more often.

8864]
Bummer, but at least it's just the lip and not the painted body that protrudes.
If you look at the end of my post here I fixed my wheel that was worse than that with a cheap DA I got from Amazon. So far I've only done one wheel as a trial and didn't got so far as to a finished polish. Your damage is minimal so you'd be able to sand that back and polish no trouble.

I took the wheel to the local tyre place and he told me exactly the same as you, have a go at sanding it slowly working down the grades. He could do it but would have  to relaquer the whole wheel and couldn't guarantee it would stay the same colour.  Absolutely astounded how well it has come out!

I think I could improve it further spending a bit more time with the DA but I'm at the point where I struggle to find where I've sanded it. Very relieved haha

Can you get away with wider tyres?
Might stop it happening again in the future and give you a little more grip on the track.

I could I'm sure if I got rid of the spacers on the back, but I'm super happy with how it sits at the moment. I'll just have to be much more careful around left hand bends  O:)  ;D

Reply #59
Good save and you've learnt a new skill, win win!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v