Skip to main content
Topic: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White (Read 20964 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White

Reply #285
OK, so now the dust has settled I can do a bit more of an update.

Here's the dodgy plug. It was only by pulling the lead off and finding the rod part stuck in the HT cap, else I might never had known. With it pushed back in, the plug looked normal.

I did plugs, leads, car etc when I recommissioned the car after the COVID lay-up, so about 3 years but only 4000 odd miles.
But it was on my list to do this year as part of general maintenance anyway.

The original cam belt

No idea how long that's been in there, I haven't done it before in my ownership, which is getting towards 4.5 years now. I think I remember seeing a bill for it in the paperwork when I got the car.

The last time it was done it looks like someone was a bit heavy-handed with the pulley bolts

The good old Irwin tools to the rescue

But I was never going to be able to torque it back down. So I ordered 4x genuine bolts, but also needed to wait for those to be delivered.

I also fitted all new belt covers and fixed the alternator bracket while I was in the area.

And for anyone with Power Steering, you'll know how much of a nightmare it is to adjust. Well, hopefully, that's all freed up now if I need to make any further adjustments. A squealing belt has plagued me for quite a while.

New cam belt and tensioner fitted, and miles and date written on the inside of the belt cover.

I still have a list of jobs to do, and a box of new parts ready to fit.

Reply #286
Glad to hear you the timing belt was successful. Oh yeah national meet will be coming round before you know it. I maybe should start preparing as I move very slowly 😂 I've lost my tent and sold my t5 so need to make some sleeping arrangements

Reply #287
I had a couple of broken sparkplugs when I changed them last year. Never had an issue before.

@ianmac86 maybe you can order a seat from Matt @MK2 Spares on a sale or return basis for the national?
My Facebook marketplace s/h tent wasn't a great place to be last year with all that rain!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #288
138k? Barely run in!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #289
@AndyBa haha yeah and sleep under the stars 😂 that mk2 bench was surprising comfy! I will have to see if I can find my tent if not I will be on marketplace too!

Reply #290
138k? Barely run in!!

I know right, it’s great granddaughter, the mk5 has just caught up and overtaken.
I think that’s at around 140k now.

… I've lost my tent and sold my t5 so need to make some sleeping arrangements

Even when you had a tent you had no tent pegs  :'(

Reply #291
@AndyBa haha yeah and sleep under the stars 😂 that mk2 bench was surprising comfy! I will have to see if I can find my tent if not I will be on marketplace too!

Just saying, a hotel room is probably cheaper than a tent...comes with a toilet and shower too!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v