Skip to main content
Topic: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White (Read 21005 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White

Reply #270
That's great! Have you got his first car sorted yet?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #271
That's great! Have you got his first car sorted yet?

I did see a 1.6 Driver appear on FB market place, only across the bridge in Newport. 1 owner since new, Full service history, owner now too old and daughter selling. It was mint. and the best part was the reg was J74 PVC and it was only £1500  :o

Obviously, daughter had no idea what she was selling, thinking it was just her dads old car no one would want. Sadly it disappeared in no time at all. So someone either snapped it up or tipped her off. But just imagine!  8)

Reply #272
I should also say, if you scroll back to the post where I did the injector seals. I have now replaced that bit of dodgy fuel hose. After getting back from Silverstone there was a strong smell of fuel again. And a visible damp patch below the injector rail  :o

Reply #273
Already??!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #274

I also found this

which I cut back an inch to clean pipe and refitted, but on my to do list.

I was a temp fix. But what I've done is essentially another temp fix as I used a small length of R6 fuel pipe I had hanging around from when I did the Beetle. I later found out R6 was crap and R9 not much better, and that it's the 100% biofuel stuff which is the one to go for.

Reply #275
Some of you may have seen this shared on Facebook, but a few weeks back I finally got around to fitting the RightClick remote locking kit my son got me for Christmas.

https://youtube.com/shorts/sIPkJASWyF4?feature=share

As I already had factory Central Locking I just piggy-backed the master actuator onto the existing driver door lock and let this trigger the rest of the locks using the existing air-fed system.

I then took the key blank supplied to the local independent key guy who was happy to cut this for £6. I've heard a lot of places refuse to cut blanks they don't supply.

Sorry, no other pics, It started to rain while fitting and I just wanted to get the door membrane back on and get it all back together.

More up-to-date, I got a mate at work to do a 3D print of a design I made,

It needs a bit of fettling, but it's a step in the right direction and will angle the gauges up. Currently, they're in a flat panel and it's difficult to see looking down on them from the driving position.

The final update for now, a little job completed this lunchtime....

I've replaced the old and failing, original pink-flecked expansion bottle return hose. And rather than have it trailing across the bay as is normal I thought I'd try and run it around the outside of the bay.

I don't know why more people don't do this? Hopefully, I won't find the answer to that by some kind of failure. But I ran the engine up to temp till the thermostat opened, the coolant flowed and the fan cut in. Everything seemed to be fine.

I don't usually show pics of my engine bay as it's not particularly pretty.

Reply #277
Looking back at 2023, and I know it's not over yet, but what a year for me.
I think this has been my most active in shows and meets ever and it's been great.

The monthly Bristol meets kicked off in February and run every month (except January).
In May I went to my first Queen Square Bristol Meet at Eastwood Park.
June was a cracking Bristol Volksfest and Caffeine and Machine.
July started with a car show at the local carnival,
and obviously the OC National Meet at the end of July.
August was a really good turn out for the Bristol meet.
German Car Festival in September was possibly my furthest outing and certainly my earliest start.
And I've just been to Retro-Sect in November.
There will be one more Bristol meet, Friday 1st December and I think that should be me done.

Unlike many, I won't be putting the car away for winter. It's still my transport and in December I start a new job where I'll be going into the office more regularly so daily duties will actually be daily and not just every now and then.

How's your year been?

Reply #279
How is it 4 months since my last update? To think these used to be almost daily back in the day  :o

Well as I mentioned last time, I started a new job in December and it's been full steam ahead. I've hardly been on here, and haven't even been on socials much.

The Golf spends most of its life parked up under a cover now.
I'm back on the bike as daily transport, all weathers as the traffic is horrendous. I've only taken the Golf in a few times.

The new workplace is only 10 miles away, the shortest commute I've ever had, one of the times I went in the car it took me 55 mins  ::) But loving the job which is the main thing. Plus I now work in the motor trade (loosely connected).

So, what's been going on you say?

Well we've had out bathroom done, and to try and save a few quid we opted to not have a skip and dispose of our own waste... so many many tip runs...

After that she needed a very deep clean, I spent the best part of a day on this and the wife's Mk5. Sadly I only took this one pic:

And while I was in this area I did an old-school mod, linking up the dummy fog light on the passenger side, not that I expect to drive in much fog. I did consider hooking them up to the brake  :o another mod from back in the day iirc.

Which took me up to MOT day:

The astute among you may recognise this is the same place that set fire to the Beetle.  :(
Regardless of that, I had stopped using them as the old MOT tester started getting super picky, but then I discovered a mate (known through this club and Mk2 ownership) was the new MOT tester.

And happy to report a PASS, with a couple of sensible advisories.

You may also notice some snow on the cars around! Couldn't believe it when I looked out the window on MOT morning.

The final update, and long overdue. But Ben sent me through the pics he took at the National meet last July.

As you can see, wet!

Reply #280
Glad to hear the new job is going well!

Good that you have a sensible MOT guy now, I've just lost mine.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #281
The weekend didn’t quite go to plan.

It started well, I nipped up the rear wheel bearings, and did a few other tidy up jobs after seeing the car on the ramp at MOT time.

But then I did my cambelt, first time doing it solo. And I’ve been apprehensive, but after talking with people and watching YouTube video etc I thought I’d take it on.

It all seemed to go ok, but afterwards my biggest fear was realised as the car wouldn’t run.

I tore it down again, double and triple checked, also got my son involved to help me go over everything again.

And to the best of our ability, everything seemed fine.

Running through diagnostics and backtracking everything I did, I did remove the spark plugs to make turning the engine by hand easier.

I wanted to check I hadn’t messed up the firing order, but then I discovered a broken spark plug. And remembered I did drop one when I took it out.

My son also pulled the end off one of the leads, so not sure if that was a sign it was deteriorating or just him being heavy handed and pulling from the cable not the end.

So now I’m stuck with a stranded car, awaiting eBay orders to come in this week for plugs, leads, cap and rotor.

And until I’ve replaced all of that I have no way of knowing if I messed up the cam belt …. Not such a happy Easter bunny right now.

Reply #282
That does suck, but think how much you'd be saving over having a garage to do it.
Also, not many garages know how to do old school cars nowadays.

Also, also, you can test the cam belt, turn the engine over by hand, if it:
A Spins freely
B Comes back to the timing marks
You're all good. Just make sure things like the tensioner is torqued up properly.

Also, also, also with the new parts the car will be service ready for the national meet!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #284
Sweet!

Was hoping to make it to the Bristol meet Friday, had the Corrado fuelled up and everything.
But the boy wasn't well, so we had to pass on it.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v