Skip to main content
Topic: Notchy clutch (Read 276 times) previous topic - next topic

Notchy clutch

That’s the best way I can describe it. When lifting the clutch pedal towards the biting point it’s like there’s a sticky point in the clutch pedal travel, which makes the clutch action not very smooth.

I can live with it, but It’s a bit of an issue as I’ve now got my son on the insurance with a provisional as I’m getting him driving.

Ideas on what could be the cause?

The clutch itself, no idea if it’s ever been done cars on 130k. Cable, pushrod?

Re: Notchy clutch

Reply #1
Ok, first thing to work out is if it's the cable or the clutch itself.
Does it do it when you're standing still in neutral, or just when engaging?

Depending on how brave/stupid you feel, you may want to jack up the car and see if it does it when the car isn't loaded up.

Also, the release bearings are dead easy to do on them, so you might want to think about giving it a minor birthday.
A new cable, release bearing and end cap will probably set you back around £50-£60
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
The pedal action on my sons driver was similar, and the biting point was a bit high.  I decided to replace both the clutch and cable, as he hadn't at the time passed his test.  Its much smoother now.  But I would suggest replacing the cable first, particularly the auto adjusting type.  I fitted a manual adjusting one.

Reply #3
I've just been out to test it on the driveway.
It's not there with just the pedal action, so fine with the motor off.
Also fine with the motor and just pumping the pedal in neutral.

Now, it's limited on the driveway but rolling back and forward in either reverse or 1st I don't feel it. I guess I'll need to go for a good drive and pay attention more. I'm aware of it, and it's been a bit iffy for me in stop-start traffic, but it's things like this I tend to ignore and drive through it. It's only really now Jacob is driving I'm aware it's an extra bit of effort he could do without.

Visually the cable looks quite new, bearing in mind I've had the car 4 years though it can't be brand new, so it's at least that old. And it is one of those auto-adjust ones. I guess like most new replacement parts the life span is a lot less than the original fitted item. So whilst the original lasted 30 years the replacement has probably had its best life by 4.

I defo think a new clutch wouldn't go a miss. If not now, certainly in a few months after the abuse it's getting from an inexperienced driver is done.

It's been 25 years since I've done a clutch in a mk2  :o maybe I have rose-tinted specs but I don't remember it being too much of an ordeal... I was in my early 20's then though  :)) and was in my killing gearbox phase so had lots of practice.

I'll look into doing the cable, release bearing and fresh gear oil in the meantime. Thanks guys.

Reply #4
I've just been out to test it on the driveway.
It's not there with just the pedal action, so fine with the motor off.
Also fine with the motor and just pumping the pedal in neutral.

Now, it's limited on the driveway but rolling back and forward in either reverse or 1st I don't feel it. I guess I'll need to go for a good drive and pay attention more. I'm aware of it, and it's been a bit iffy for me in stop-start traffic, but it's things like this I tend to ignore and drive through it. It's only really now Jacob is driving I'm aware it's an extra bit of effort he could do without.

Visually the cable looks quite new, bearing in mind I've had the car 4 years though it can't be brand new, so it's at least that old. And it is one of those auto-adjust ones. I guess like most new replacement parts the life span is a lot less than the original fitted item. So whilst the original lasted 30 years the replacement has probably had its best life by 4.

I defo think a new clutch wouldn't go a miss. If not now, certainly in a few months after the abuse it's getting from an inexperienced driver is done.

It's been 25 years since I've done a clutch in a mk2  :o maybe I have rose-tinted specs but I don't remember it being too much of an ordeal... I was in my early 20's then though  :)) and was in my killing gearbox phase so had lots of practice.

I'll look into doing the cable, release bearing and fresh gear oil in the meantime. Thanks guys.

I'm in my 50s these days (and my back aint so good!), and it was a bit of a mission changing the clutch.  I got a mate to give me a hand.  Bit of faff getting the box in and out round the motor, had to rotate it to clear the drive shaft flange.  Whilst we had the chance, I also changed the main seal behind the clutch, and the pinion shaft seal, and the tiny one for the push rod.  None of them were leaking, but I didn't fancy taking the box out again any time soon!!  Its a lot easier changing the clutch on my 71 beetle. 

RE Insurance, putting my son on with a provisional, was pretty cheap.  But insuring him after he passed, was eye wateringly expensive.  Given that the car only has 75bhp, you'd expect it to be reasonable, but it doesn't seem to wirk that way!

Reply #5
The auto adjusting ones can be reset, might be worth trying, push the lever all the way down and release, the ratchet mechanism will take up the slack, I had bother with one back in the day and swapped it out for the manual cable that has the knurled plastic nut on for adjustment.