Skip to main content
Topic: Sun visor retrim (Read 692 times) previous topic - next topic

Sun visor retrim

Hi all

Has anyone had their sun visors re trimmed professionally? Any recommendations?

I recently bought a new headliner from headliner-world on eBay (it looks great, for anyone considering doing the same). They sent some spare material for covering the sun visors, which I’m tempted to do that so everything matches, but it looks too fiddly for my sausage fingers. Would like to give them to a professional.

Cheers
Will

Re: Sun visor retrim

Reply #2
Will do!
I’m in Hertfordshire (but would post the sun visors if someone has a recommendation elsewhere)

Reply #3
There was a place on Facebook called 1UPHolstery.
They were doing the visors for £75 a set (this was a year ago mind).
I never got around to it, but still have the material.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
Thanks! Have messaged them

Reply #5
Let me know how you get on, I still want to get mine done!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Monkey, thanks again for the tip. Followed up on it and I’m pleased with the results! Quick turnaround, seems like good value at £50 plus postage. I provided the material as it came with the headliner I bought.

I no longer have a mirror on the passenger side visor, but that doesn’t bother me at all. If this was an issue perhaps you could ask them to retain it; I didn’t ask, they didn’t mention it, and now mine’s gone.

I also did the sunroof panel myself, it’s nice having everything matching. If I’m totally honest the overall difference is minimal but it’s not a huge cost / effort and 1Upholstery did a good job of it!

Reply #7
Also if you do want to contact them I’d try instagram rather than email as they were more responsive on there

Reply #9
That's neat. I wondered how trimmers did it. I was assuming they 'welded it like the originals.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #10
Thanks! Was a quick turnaround too. Some of their work on instagram is very impressive  8) 

Reply #11
They look great! Thanks for the report.
I must get on and send mine off soon.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #12
That's neat. I wondered how trimmers did it. I was assuming they 'welded it like the originals.

Based on what I can see I suspect it'll be 2 halves cut (oversized) around the visor and stitched inside-out, 3/4 of the way around like a bag. It looks then like there's a long running stitch on the open edge. The 'bag' will then be turned the right way round and the Sunvisor slotted into it. The final stage would be sealing the open end with an external hand-stitch matching how a leather steering wheel cover is closed. I can't remember the name of that kind of stitch.

I wonder if they used any adhesive? @Will does the material feel loose over the visor inside or do you think it's been stuck?

I'm only a novice/amateur but I do have a sewing machine, so now I've seen this I might be willing to give it a go. I'm not bothered about the vanity mirror so I'd be happy to cover it up too.

Reply #13
I think it’s been stuck. There’s a little bit of give but not much.

Speaking of which, if you do the sunroof panel too my advice would be to only glue around the edges and then stretch the material across the middle. Otherwise it follows the contours of the panel and looks odd.

(This is very obvious but I didn’t realise the slightly spongy material would show the contours as badly as it did! So I had to have two takes)

Reply #14
I need to get a replacement headliner but I like the original design so it means buying the fabric from Heritage andgetting it stuck on a glassfibre shell. It won't be cheap, hence it's on the back-burner !
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel