Skip to main content
Topic: Sun visor retrim (Read 691 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sun visor retrim

Reply #15
I need to get a replacement headliner but I like the original design so it means buying the fabric from Heritage andgetting it stuck on a glassfibre shell. It won't be cheap, hence it's on the back-burner !

It's worth noting the fabric from Heritage, whilst a good pattern match (they sent me a sample when it was in production and I helped sign off on it), is not foam-backed like the original.

If applied directly to the headliner it will show every bump and lump and will need to be 100% perfect to look halfway decent.

To be factory restored, you would need the backboard lined with a skrim foam first.

On a positive, if you do go ahead with the Heritage pattern you won't need to retrim the sunroof panel, visors or courtesy light surround.

Reply #16
I need to get a replacement headliner but I like the original design so it means buying the fabric from Heritage andgetting it stuck on a glassfibre shell. It won't be cheap, hence it's on the back-burner !

Yeah, whatever, you do, don't use the original headliner, I've tried twice now with various glues etc, longest it's lasted is two years.
The liner is just dissolving at this point and taking the glue with it.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #17
I did ask if headliner world could retrim one of their headliners in the original patterned fabric from VW heritage - they got a sample and gave it a go, but apparently found it very difficult to make it look good because the fabric wasn’t at all stretchy so didn’t fill the creases and corners very well.

It might be possible to get a good result, perhaps there are different techniques that could be employed.

Reply #18
Thanks @Monkey @Eddypeck and @Will. Interesting to know your experiences. I'll ponder over the solution a bit longer!

I think I'd need a professional to do it.

1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel