Skip to main content
Topic: Cutting out after a couple of minutes (Read 272 times) previous topic - next topic

Cutting out after a couple of minutes

Hi All , Spent a lot of time getting my Mk2 1.6 Driver (Auto) back on the road after nearly a year out
upon getting it sorted and mot'd i decided to whack 50 quid of the E5 fuel in (had probably about a tenners worth of normal stuff in) , since getting it back from mot ive driven it for about 10 miles if that where it conked out and wouldnt start again , it lost power whilst driving and came to a stop - since then it seems to start from stone cold but lasts a couple of minutes if that before it dies again where itll strike a couple more times but not fully start then it will just not turn over at all

Ive changed spark plugs , roter , dizzy cap , ignition coil , oil filter and oil change and new leads where it struck up straight away from cold then died within 2 minutes , changed the little in line fuel filter checked fuel is getting all the way up but im now stumped any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Re: Cutting out after a couple of minutes

Reply #1
I don’t know much about carb’ed cars. I’ve only ever had GTIs.

But based on previous posts I’ve seen from others it could be something to do with the wax stat.

The wax stat is a little device that changes the fueling once warm. Wax melts within the device and allows something to move and therefore make the adjustment.

I think this is only an issue on the original Peiburg carb, and not an aftermarket Webber. But if you have the original then this maybe something to look into further.

Reply #2
Hi,
I'm very familiar with pierberg carb, having stripped the one on my sons driver and spent ages reading up the pierburg manual.  I wouldn't blame the carb necessarily, and I doubt its the waxstat, which when it fails leaves the idle way too high.  Its easy to check though.  When it dies, lift the carb air filter a bit and spray some easy start down it to see if it starts.  If it does then it could a carb problem.  If not then I suspect its an electrical fault.  I would try changing the ignition module, dont buy a cheap one, but a good quality branded part as they have a habit of failing in the way you describe.
If the carb is to blame, then it may be carb icing, which is easy to check, ie the carb body will be stone cold.  Usually with the carb problems, the car will run, just very badly which is why I think its an electrical fault.

Reply #3
I might be talking rubbish here but I had a 1.6 cl had a very similar fault the car would start run for 10 miles and then lost power and cut out. But it would start shortly after and run fine. The fault was the automatic choke sticking on when running but would release after being stood for a while.

Reply #4
I might be talking rubbish here but I had a 1.6 cl had a very similar fault the car would start run for 10 miles and then lost power and cut out. But it would start shortly after and run fine. The fault was the automatic choke sticking on when running but would release after being stood for a while.
That can happen.  Its usually because there is no electric feed to the choke, meaning it needs the coolant to heat up before the choke backs off.  The symptoms are it bogs down when trying to accellerate, and can die completely.  Its easy to check, if there is current getting to the choke (when the engine is cold disconnect the wire to the choke and put the ignition on, there should be 12v at the wire).  Usually the grey thermo switch breaks.  But it can also be cause by the earth for the choke housing being damaged.  That can be checked with a multi meter by doing a continuity check.  My sons driver have both these problems, but it took a while to figure it out! Another way to check the choke it backing off is pull up the intake box, put on the ignition and watch the choke flap.  After a minute or two it should be starting to open. 

Reply #5
Thanks all

I'll try these all over the weekend , still haven't got anywhere with  >:(