Skip to main content
Topic: Handbrake not working on one side (Read 112 times) previous topic - next topic

Handbrake not working on one side

The dreaded rear brake struggle.

My 1988 1.8 8v had it's first MOT after being in storage for 7 years. It only failed on one thing. The handbrake wasn't catching enough on the drivers side. I have since had the caliper off and the arm the handbrake cable attaches to is moving freely. I've tried tightening up the cable and I have got it that the rear drivers side wheel turns slightly with extreme force turning the wheel by hand. But the passenger side doesn't turn at all.
Is this most likely a caliper problem or possibly a stretched cable?

Thanks.

Re: Handbrake not working on one side

Reply #1
The handbrake mechanisms do seem to fail for a past time on those.
I had a similar issue, swapped the calliper out and all was well again.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
They can take a bit of love to get them moving freely but once done you can upgrade the release spring to those for a Ford Granada. It's the same size but the coil is thicker, suggesting the spring has more force.

This helps release the arm when you let the handbrake off. I did this in 2021 and haven't had any issues since: https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=118.msg7942#msg7942

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies. I have ordered a new rear caliper and will fit it sometime next week. I will update once I have this done. Hopefully that fixes it and I can get the car on the road after 7 years.