Skip to main content
Topic: Seat Foam for my 91 GTI  (Read 183 times) previous topic - next topic

Seat Foam for my 91 GTI

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a replacement bottom seat foam for my 91 GTI seat and wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction? I can find ones for earlier GTI’s but not 1990 onwards.

I have been sent this link for MK3 seat foam and told it will fit… but I’m not sure?

https://www.cabriozentrum.com/p/golf-3-sitzschaumteil-auch-passend-fuer-golf-3-cabrio-und-golf-4-cabrio

Thanks Coady

Re: Seat Foam for my 91 GTI

Reply #1
Having owned both I’m pretty sure the m3 foam won’t fit .the seats are totally different . How many foam bases do you  need ?

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply, I agree I think maybe the sellers info is incorrect. Just one 🙂

Reply #3
I know I’ve got one just can’t remember how good it is. I’ll check up my unit where it is and if it’s any good I’ll get back to you .

Reply #4
Amazing 🤩 I appreciate it

Reply #5
I believe the early MK2 foam is different to the late foam (as is the base) and I thought that the late foam is the same as the MK3.
I also have a foam base but there is a hole in the left bolster.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #7

For the GTI which has taller side bolsters the early seat frame has metal bar added to the seat base. And foam is just foam that sits over the side bars.

It’s easy to make a mould and pour in foam for reproductions.

In the later cars the metal seat base is the same on all variants, the side bolster framework is inside of the foam.

I imagine this was a production saving as there’s no difference between the main seat frame across all variants.

But it does make it harder and more costly to produce reproduction parts which is very likely why only early foam can be purchased new.

I did do a post about earlier vs late seats, but it was ages back and I’m not even sure if it got copied to the new forum.

Reply #9
Thanks this is really helpful, I think I will repair the foam, it’s not too bad anyway it has a small hole but I want to repair it before the fabric rips.

Reply #10
I’ve patched up a few with chunks of foam from carpet underlay etc and gaffer tape. Once the covers are back on you’d never know.

And if you have access to a steam cleaner (wallpaper stripper will do it) you can refresh the rest of the foam.  Blast it with steam and you can watch the miracles of your old foam expand and breathe!