Skip to main content
Topic: Rescue Me - 1988 GTI 16v (Read 5097 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rescue Me - 1988 GTI 16v

Reply #15
Rear damage is the same as before unfortunately. To be honest, it's the bottom of my priorities. My mechanic mate said it may just push out, then tidy up the bad paint. That's if we want a quick, cheap, imperfect fix. But I think we want to make it perfect so a friend of a friend is a metal fabricator and could cut and weld a new panel on there.

The other thing, how common is it to find a new rear slam panel? We have a nice new rear bumper, but the slam panel is bent so wont fit right.

This weekend I'm going to my mate's who has the Helios Blue 16v in the other pics. He has exactly the same fuel leak as us, so I'm going to see how he sorts his out, as I'm not confident in doing it without the know-how!

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #16
Went on a bit of a mental cleaning spree on Sunday.

Firstly, on Saturday I took the radiator cowlings off both the GL and 16v. The GL's came off lovely, slight surface rust, especially around the bottom, but nothing serious at all. The 16v one, however, looked like this:

In other words, rusted beyond repair.  :roll:  New cowling required. Little did I know before I took it off that the rad on a 16v is different to the GL's... Joys.

Anyway, on Saturday I went to work and during overtime I sandblasted the GL cowling, wire brushed the fan motor and cleaned up the fan blades with alcohol spay and rag. Time and a half to do homework  :D

Got home.
First, 3 light layers of grey primer until evenly spread and then using satin black, building up the layers lightly, letting it dry for 20mins between coats I applied about 5 coats on either side. Then the same on the fan motor. Much to my Dad's annoynace, as I oversprayed the newspaper I had laid down and "ruined" his path.  :lol:

End result:

(By the way, to remove the material flaps, use a flat punch and tap the centre of the plastic rivits until they are nearly out, then prize the flap until it pops free, plastic rivet intact  ;) . To refit, pop them back in, and use a little hammer to tap the centre of the rivet flush again.)

Then I went spring cleaning the interior. Armed with a Henry vacuum cleaner and some AG interior shampoo I set to work removing the surface mould and stains from the seats.

End Result:

I then vacuumed the carpets - removing the mushrooms  :lol:  and the carpets are in pretty good nick!

Took me a while, but I'm pretty happy!

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #17
I'm after some door handles/boot lock/ignition lock and keys from him. I'll keep an eye out on any other gubbins he may have.

Reply #18
Cheers guys.
I recommend the cowling trick to anyone. It's so easy to remove and spray. Recently at work I've had some spraying practice, and as the parts are fitted to aircraft, it has to be of a certain standard, otherwise I get told to do it again! :roll: So lucky to get experience in that respect, but the trick is just to take it slow and build up the layers lightly so the paint doesn't run. Still watching the ebay cowling for the 16v, still got a day left, and I wont bid until the last second lol.
Pootz, I'm racking my brains as to what I could have off your mates GTI. I will know more on friday as it's going up on the ramp to see what it needs for its mot. So may bombard him asking for bits then lol!

Reply #19
So yesterday we got Hollie 'Red Rocket' up on the ramp at our mates garage to see what surprises lurked underneath................

Not a spot of rot/rust anywhere under the old' gal = mega win!

So what needs doing to get her mot'd and back on the road you ask ??? (baring in mind she's been sat for 3 years and no service in 5 years)

1. Brakes
2. Flexi Brake lines
3. Fuel tank (as we found out it's minor fuel leak was being caused by a gaging hole in the tank itself haha)
4. There isn't a 4 :lol:

Today; went over to our mates nearby who had recently stacked his GTI 16valver and gave us the chance to be a pair of vultures and help ourselves.
So we got:
. Fuel tank
. Fuel accumulator/filter/pressure regulator & hoses with brand new stainless fittings
. Handbrake cable
. Rear discs and calipers (one caliper is brand new)
. Fan and motor
. Radiator cowling
. Rear slam panel
. Rear bumper
. K&N filter
and a VW badge for the rear

And the worst thing about today was that our mate found out his GTI was a campaign edition in Helios Blue.............. GUTTED!

Reply #20
Just went back to nick the headlining for Gumpert and he's going to whip the stub axles off too. Lovely job.
Headlining is mint, although is the wrong colour. His was a 3 door sunroof model. Will that matter with the headlining if Gumpert is 5 door with sunroof?

Reply #21
Never mind. Watch this space for a very good condition headlining for sale lol!

Reply #22
Well today was the day of the MOT for the old Red Rocket...

AND!!!???....

It failed. :x

And what is more annoying is the fact it failed on one of the rear calipers, which I had bought off my mate's Golf which he wrote off. Not only is that annoying, but it was the brand new looking one that was the problematic one, AND his car had been only MOT'd the week before he stacked it. My mate who did our MOT reckons his MOT wasn't worth the paper it was written on lol.
The problem was when the front and rear discs, flexi hoses and pads were replaced, along with the "new" calipers, he bled the system, depressed the brake pedal and it firmed up nicely, he then removed his foot off the pedal and it dropped to the floor. After much chasing around the system (initially thinking it was the master cylinder) he found the shiney new caliper was not holding pressure. :roll: He tried fitting the old caliper, and it failed on the handbrake mechanism. :lol:
The other things it failed on were the steering rack had excessive play and drop link bushes were worn. So £135 worse off and she'll be on the road finally! :D :D :D :D :D :D
No pics I'm afraid! But hopefully will have the car back as soon as, then you will be innundated with piccies!

Reply #23
It is great to see the transformation. Can't wait to have it back and go for a drive!
Unfortunately, it has been registered in miss_mac's name, as her insurance is cheaper, so she will be the policy holder, me as a named driver. :roll:

Reply #24
Hoho, I think you'll find the S***a is a 16V 2.0l TFSI 200bhp... ;)
The 1.8 20v turbo's in the mk1 Octavia were 180bhp :P
0 x

Reply #25
As of today, the GTI is MOT'd!!!

I can't wait to have her back now!

Reply #26
Should be getting it back tomorrow or saturday... Then the small matter of taxing and insuring it! :|
But whilst we are waiting for that to happen, we can sort out some more cosmetic niggles. Not had it in nearly a month, can hardly remember what it looks like! :lol:

Reply #27
Thanks mate!
Will bung some pictures up again once it returns!

Getting withdrawl symptoms!

Reply #28
Well she's back!

My poor mechanic had to take it on its first drive in 3 and a half years back to our house - yes it was safe, but we had no idea how it would perform on the open road. Whether he would end up in a cloud of steam, or at the bottom of a hill with the clutch slipping manically...

Well, here she is. Safe and sound.  :D

Tucked up behind the big bro...

And one for the lads...

Next time I'll try and get her in a bikini  :roll:

The drive home wasn't completely uneventful though, my mate said it's probably best to avoid 3rd gear as the clutch slipped on him lol. Oh, and because the centre console is in our garage he was stuck with the windows fully up, and the heating was set to max haha. So he had to poke around to set the heater to cold before he cooked lol.
At least I know the heating works! More than can be said for Gumpert!

Reply #29
Lol, I wouldn't know! Ours is pink haha!
Nothing a bit of elbow grease wont fix...