Skip to main content
Topic: Rescue Me - 1988 GTI 16v (Read 5020 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rescue Me - 1988 GTI 16v

Reply #90
Thanks mate! Don't suppose you could link it to the Facebook page could you? Want to whore it out a bit! :-D

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #91
So happy about Hollie (aka Red Rocket) being awarded car of the month. Thank you all very much.
Seriously want to get her to the national meet but can't afford everything required to get here there. Want to get her there even more now :(

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #92
Hahaha Eddy that made me laugh!
There are no more Macmillions holidays booked so every penny is being put away this month so fingers crossed we can get her there :)

Reply #93
Kebab/KFC/Maccy d's all done with now.
Oh and signature has been changed just for you :P

Reply #94
Simply down to finances mate. Would have been ok, but my Skoda decided to prematurely eat two rear tyres costing nearly £300, which was the money we had put away for tax and insurance for the red one. Gutted really as this is now a bit of a stunner, thanks hugely to hank. Would have loved to have shown her off, but it really isn't viable. Not without abusing my credit card further...
Cheers though. It's a great feeling seeing the work paying off, and putting together the write up and seeing peoples' positive replies has made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Reply #95
Yeah that was some useful info thanks. Saved me a hat full of cash on a new alternator, after suspecting the old one was dead!

Reply #96
So today I carried out a task that I have been meaning to do for a long time.

Ages ago I bought a tin of waxoyl and nozzle, with the intention of spaying the stuff all over the lovely new Spax suspension.

Well, I did as the instructions suggested and shook the can, for ages!

Sprayed the suspension and this was the result...

:sorry, what?:

Well it came out much quicker and thicker than anticipated, so it looks like I've done a combination of sneezing whilst having a massive 'crisis' all over it. Looks like crap, but hey, you can't see it and it'll do the job of protecting it and prevent rust!

Reply #97
Yeah I'm gonna wash it off tonight and reapply with the nozzle adjusted and put in hot water for much longer, as my OCD is eating me alive! Will take more pics and update.
I did go through half a tin of the stuff just doing the suspension haha!

Reply #98
Oh wish I'd read that post before having just gone out and removed all the old stuff and reapplied.  :problem:
According to the tin it could be sprayed directly onto suspension components and arches etc.

Anyway, 2nd attempt:

Soaked tin in very hot water for over half an hour
Shake tin vigorously
Test spray pattern on old metal drip tray and adjusted to finer pattern.
Sprayed suspension. To much better effect I feel!

I was so confident in my new found ability that I even did the rear arches. But forgot to take a photo.  :hmm:

None on the tyres or brakes so that's a bonus!
Pete, I may take you up on the offer of popping over with either/both cars and we'll set about doing them.  :thumbs:

Reply #99
Not a daily yet... We'll have to wait and see with that one. Gumpert could so with some major lovin' so this one may have to become the daily. Whilst that's occurring. Anyway, waxoyl has rust inhibitor properties so the arches should stay rust free too. :-)

Reply #100
So I had to collect my Skoda from it's MOT yesterday (which cost me £400!!) So decided to take Hollie on a little run. Whilst filling her up I thought she looked good in the petrol station lighting, so grabbed a shot, before being told off for using my phone on the forecourt haha!
Mrs Mac was trying to hide. Fail.

Reply #101
Time for a bit of whoring!

Decided on an impromptu photoshoot of Hollie, as I felt she's been neglected over the winter, being left in the garage, effectively just getting in the way whilst trying to get to my car cleaning bits at the back of the (cluttered) garage.

Really can't wait to have it taxed and back on the road!

Reply #102
Well last week our next door neighbour's cat got accidentally locked in our garage overnight. Fortunately when I opened the door the cat shot out unharmed. But in a panic it had obviously clambered all over Hollie in the garage, leaving dusty paw prints all over it. Luckily it didn't leave any scratches, but it required washing anyway.

After a quick wash - yes that is still without wax or polish since hankmanus (The Mad Waxman) detailed it in October 2013!
Gumpert's a bit dirty though!

My view from the back gate. Made me all excited!

I also noticed recently a fuel leak from under the car, so had a root around and discovered the accumulator and pump (which was pretty new, along with all new fixtures and unions) was leaking. Thankfully it was just a case of nipping up a jubilee clip.

Mrs Mac had been suspiciously quiet during my quick cleaning sesh, and she later came outside to say she couldn't wait any more and had taxed Hollie!!  :brian:

Time for a blast then!

Then we found possibly the best road within a 20 mile radius! Such fun!!!

Love driving this old girl. Puts the biggest smile on my face! So happy she's taxed again!

Reply #103
Thanks mate. Just the little things now, like passenger electric window, and noisy speedo cable to sort out. But the main thing is it's drivable and looks good!

We have thought about taking it to see the bloke who we got it from, but worry a little bit that he'll want it back and would make us a silly offer, which he said he may do at the time! Wouldn't want to end up in that situation!

Reply #104
On Sunday was GTI International, so as we were taking Hollie, it was time for a much needed wash.
4 hours later, to revive the red again, as it had just slightly faded in the 2 and a half years since hankmanus detailed her. But all it required was some Poorboys Black Hole to bring the deep colour back and a coat of Collnite 476 wax to seal it in.

She still comes up really well.
Unfortunately, both travelling to Inters, there and back, it rained, so is now filthy again.  :hmm:
So prior to the National Meet it's going to require another wash, at least!

Poor old Gumpert, however, is a filthy pig at the moment. Going to take a hell of a cleaning sesh to bring him up fresh!