Skip to main content
Topic: Rescue Me - 1988 GTI 16v (Read 5161 times) previous topic - next topic

Rescue Me - 1988 GTI 16v

So... On Thursday 24th Feb 2011, Miss Macmillions was on her police patrols and whilst making small talk with a mechanic, which included inundating him with her love for Golfs, he said he had one out the back, stood for years and was allegedly in a sorry state.
After she begged to see it and him refusing initially, he let her. Little did she know what was underneath the moss until closer inspection...

Those of you with the keen eye (and who haven't read our other thread) may have noticed the deep front splitter...
Oh yes, that would be a 16valve GTI.

Unfortunately it has suffered a rear end prang, but doesn't seem too severe.

Taking all things into consideration - i.e. IT'S A GOLF - and a 16valve at that, AND IT RUNS! Not a spot of rust, just a lot of elbow grease needed, Miss Macmillions persuaded me to go have a look at it on Friday, the next day. £320 lighter, it was ours.  :D

We had it delivered on Monday 28th Feb on the back of a trailor onto my parents' driveway - much to my Mum and Dad's disgust!  :lol:

A rather happy Miss Macmillions!

Lol, green bonnet!

Oh, and thrown in the sale was a GTI 16valve grille with spots, Jetta GTI 16valve full exhaust system, rear bumper and lots of spiders!  ;)

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Re: Rescue Me - 1988 GTI 16v

Reply #1
Okay, so ive just spent the past 2 hours cleaning the new addition. That was only soap, water and elbow grease......... Im leaving the t-cutting and polishing for Mr Macmillions to do when he get's home from work  :lol:

Here are some pictures:

So here is one half clean and the other not so clean:

Getting there

Thought i had to get one with Gumpert in there too!

Tuh dah!

I can safely say i have never smiled so much when cleaning a car, it was like un-wrapping a present with every sponge wipe lol. There were a couple of very hard bits to clean off but i think it's come out rather well. Didn't tuch the alloys, again something else mr macmillions can do later.

Right im off to work. Let us know what you think x

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #2
Lol, believe it or not, we've not looked in the glovebox. So could be all manner of surprised in there! Good or bad! Hopefully a nice book full of VAG service history lol. Not a horse's head or a 2 year old piece of fruit covered in mould! It hasn't got a logbook though, so that's a thing that needs doing sharpish!

As far as we know it's done 120k miles. So not too bad.

Bought a battery and spark plugs today, so that's next on the to do list, make sure it starts properly.
Fitted the grille tonight too, so here's some pics of that in darkness. Will get a better one in the morning.  :)

Reply #3
Two pictures taken thismorning with the grille back on. Looks like a totally different car now.

My cat being nosey in the window as always.

Reply #4
Thanks for all the comments. It really is great this car, can't wait to go thoroughly over it at the weekend. Really can't wait to get stuck in with the oily bits myself!

Reply #5
It does have a few dodgey Tornado Pink patches in places, so armed with my bottle of T-Cut, I will set out to bring the red out at the weekend! As it stands, I have installed the battery, added new fuel, ready for the big turn of the key! But... I'm not allowed until Miss Macmillions comes home from work and witnesses it - otherwise I will never be forgiven! :lol:

Reply #6
IT RUNS!!! :D

Fitted the battery, stuck a jerry can of fuel in it and it just needed a good few cranks and it coughed into life! Cut out to start with, but then after the new fuel got round it ran like a dream - a very loud dream admittedly! :lol: ! Runs on all four cylinders with no horrid knocks or bangs! :D

Miss Macmillions got a video of it, so will upload it once I work out how to do it lol.

Reply #7
OMG This Golf just gets better and better each day!!!
I was going over her after work with Mr Mac, changing sparks etc, open the glove box to find this:

*ahem* What's that Mr Man who said "it has no service history" and low and behold, open the cobweb filled glove box to find....... full service history every 10,000 + all fully VAG services at that (apart from one) up to 102,000 miles.
I now know i can blame the man who owned Hollie before us for her total neglect! Got me on a gower to get her 100% back to original standard. Big smileys on my face  :D
[size=50]Now........... just to persuade the inlaws to let s keep her [/size]  :roll:

Reply #8
Also on closer inspection i found this:

Mushrooms in the footwell

A tree in the skuttle tray

And look at the state of the sparks

A quick trip down to the local motor factors for full service parts; dizzy cap, rotor-arm, 10/40oil, ht leads and oil filter.

Reply #9
For those who wanted to see; video link to youtube of Hollie starting up for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHoCRIdcdt0

Reply #10
Well now we have found the original reciept and service book. Using the codes we can use that to see how it came out of the factory. Want to idealy get it back to factory standard but with a few tweeks here and there.

Reply #11
Well I managed to brave the cold yesterday (yes, I'm a wimp) and performed a service on the old gal.
New air filter, spark plugs (seen earlier), HT leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil change and new oil filter.
Bearing in mind I'm not the most mechanically minded bloke in the world I thought that was quite an achievment! Haha. And the best bit? It still worked afterwards!

Tell you what though, I have never seen oil so bad in my life! Before draining the oil I ran the engine up to temp so it came out easier and it poured out nicely - if a little black in colour. But as I continued the rest of the service and it all drained, I removed the drip tray and the oil was like tar! So the current oil is literally going to just be a flush. Run it for 100 miles or so then change it along with the filter again.

One thing I have noticed though is it seems to have a petrol leak. Just infront of the rear offside wheel. There seems to be a little box there which is getting wet. Am I right thinking that's the fuel filter? - Which I forgot to change, so will do that this weekend!

Also removed the seats and set about cleaning the interior - not the nicest job in the world!
Another plus point, all the electrics work too! :D

Reply #12
I took some pics of the leak, so will stick them up, have removed the interior ready for a clean, and this weekend, weather dependant, I shall try and get it back to tornado red. I attacked the bonnet with T-Cut on Saturday and it's come up surprisingly well!

Gonna get it up on a ramp and get the exhaust fitted, check the brakes properly, sort this leak and fit a gear linkage.

Pics will be added tonight! (Although it will look pretty similar to last time!) :D

Reply #13
I got home today and decided to reverse into the drive to get a few sexy pictures of the two vdubs.
So for all you nagging folks, here you go :P :

See, my cat Mr.Jenkins even loves Golfs  :lol:

Arty-farty

Reply #14
Oh and almost forgot these, a couple of the service AND an old friend also has a mk2 16valve so we decided to have a mini-meet.

..... and our dog Mabel loves Golfs too!!!

Tasty..........