Skip to main content
Topic: Rescue Me - 1988 GTI 16v (Read 5124 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rescue Me - 1988 GTI 16v

Reply #60
Where could we be going? And what could be in store for Hollie?

And what the hell is with the weather!?

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #61
Haha we've been rumbled!

Yes we are off to see hank. But with good reason too. I believe he can transform the old gal back to her former glory better than I could ever achieve. I would love to have a go, but I know I would be disappointed with my result in comparison to what he could do.

Not only that though, it's not just getting a buff up, it's taking a trip to the bodyshop hank favours (has worked wonders on his A reg GL's arches and rear turrets.) And they will be working their fabricating magic on the rear end, plus other little blemishes around the car. I honestly cannot wait to see the end result.

Oh and cheers matey for the cups of tea and introducing us to the Caerphilly Mountain Monster Burger!

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #62
So as you've seen the old gal has been taken to Wales to have a spruce up by Hankmanus. But not only that, a pair of Hank's good contacts who are metal fabricators are tackling the rear end...

These are a couple of pics I was sent earlier today.  :D

Prior to works - lights and bumper removed

Metal manipulation in progress

Oh and the Mad Waxman has been busy already...

To

Can't wait to see more and then pick her up!  :jackson:

Reply #63
Quote from: Damien.wrl
How exciting..... About blooming time??? Dink aside, Your rear end looks nice and clean,
When is it done?

My rear end is always nice and clean!  :D

But yeah, the whole car is like that, ask hank.  ;)  dead chuffed!

We pick it up on Saturday. Canne wait!

Reply #64
There are plenty of pics. Do you want progress pics then?

Reply #65
Just for you.

These are what I've received so far.  :D

No more now until we pick her up. Don't want to dull the final shots!  :thumbs:

Reply #66
t is cheating yes, but if I did any repair, I would have ended up with the dent poking out, then filler falling off after about a week!

I just couldn't refuse his offer of polishing her up though after seeing how well that side came up when he tackled it during the Meet. No way could I ever match his quality.

Does using a Hank count as a modification?

Reply #67
The slams? Do you mean the door shuts?

I'm sure if he reads this he'll be out there with a toothbrush shining them up haha!

I may have to go for best GTI then! Put it up against Scratch's money pit (and lose!) :lol:
Although, I am surprised at your concern about us entering OEM, as isn't Vinnie having a year off?

Reply #68
Haha. :clapping: I know the difference between of/off, to/two/too, where/we're/were, there/their, sort/sought, wait/weight... It is irritating though!

I have tried to polish Hollie and got nothing compared to what hank can produce. Also, after the repair is being done, he is flattening the paint back to polish up. If I even attempted that, it would look like this:

He said he wants to have a go at Gumpert too... :jackson:
How can I refuse?

Reply #69
No more updates until the car is back I'm afraid. :D

Sam, when it is back (most likely last week of Oct) I will text you for you and Zack to come round for a "red off" haha.

Reply #70
I'm like a kid during the build up to Christmas! Can't wait!

Hankmanus has put a couple of cheeky shots on Facebook... ;)

Reply #71
It's on the beloved Mk2 owners club page me dear!

Reply #72
It's official.

We're picking her up on Wednesday!

Reply #73
Well we have her back.

And what can I say? Hankmanus, you are an absolute legend. This guy has the level of attention to detail that is unsurpassed and a skill with a polisher that is like watching a magician work his magic!

Not only that, but a true gent who makes a banging cuppa tea.

Here are the long awaited shots of Hollie's buttock lift and paint being brought back to stunning life. I will display them in the order I was sent them through, so some the earlier ones are pre-finished article.

Then this was the shot that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

He even went mad and did the swirl removal on the rear lights!
(top light is after swirl removal - bottom is before)

Immaculate front crossmember!

Grotty tyres!

Before arch clean:

After arch clean:

Inside rear bumper mounting point thingy - immaculate!

Shiny metering head!

And... Pipercross induction kit sourced, specifically designed to fit in the original airbox location. Yet to fit.

1/2 and 1/2 shot

Before swirl removal

After swirl removal

Scuttle pre-polished

After

Time for some engine bay cleanliness shots!

And now the finalé shots.

Note, plastics yet to be blackened

Flatted back

And the crem de la crem

Sadly when we arrived to pick her up the weather was pretty poor and rained whilst the finishing touches were being applied, so no photos in its crowning glory. But a couple of the final touches being put on.

Kowky also came along for a visit!

At the services on the way home

Back home

I cannot recommend Neil enough. He has done a sublime job and the metal fabricators have worked mircales. Anyone even toying with the idea of getting him to detail your pride and joy, don't hesitate. Just do it.

Thanks so much mate!

That's all folks!

Reply #74
Haha. Well I've just had Sam Stirrup come over and have a look and I think he was impressed too. ;)

Still a few little issues to resolve. The bonnet on there currently is pretty knackered and couldn't be machine polished without risk of going through, so bought one from TomRich en route to Wales, which is mint! (yes, I said it). So that will go on for the summer and the old knackered one will be a useful spare panel for practicing machine polishing and spraying.
The passenger door card is rotten as when we found the car the door was ajar so it got sodden and the membrane is ruined.

Oh and we found a mouse nest under the scuttle! Which explains why the heater motor made a horrendous noise! :lol:

But yeah, get yourself booked in with hank. We cannot stop grinning with the results. And that pic of it when we found her compared to how she looks now is just shocking. Many probably thought we were mad when we bought her (including us at times!) But the work, time and money (i know hankmanus has performed miracles) has truely paid off.

Might get some bottle tops in time, but I am fond of the le castelettes. So can alternate between sets if necessary.

The rear wiper will return to the OEM position of up and proud, don't worry, but need to get a working wiper first lol!

Oh, lastly, does anyone know where the no.21 (indicator) relay goes in a CE1 fuse board? Our one died on the way to Wales and it was taken out, but I can't remember where it goes! :thinking: