Skip to main content
Topic: Tempted to change headlining to tartan! (Read 1050 times) previous topic - next topic

Tempted to change headlining to tartan!

Hi a strange idea and wonder if anyone has seen anything similar around.

I have black leather interior and thinking of changing it to the McGregor tartan, thoughts on this?  Will it go?

National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Re: Tempted to change headlining to tartan!

Reply #1
Think I’ve seen it in a mk3, didn’t Huw or Laura have something like this?

I’d only do it if the headlining needs to be fixed anyway, wouldn’t mess with a good one. Is yours sagging?

Also depends if you intend to keep this one. Do it for yourself if you want it by all means, might not be someone else’s cup of tea and could be an sticking point at sell time, in an otherwise tidy and stock car.

Just my thoughts

Reply #2
Yes, it’s sagging thought I had fixed it yesterday but didn’t stay fixed!

Yes, she’s being kept, V5 in my name!!

No I asked, but it’s a valid point.  I’ll have to see, just crossed my mind last night.

Reply #3
Maybe do the seat inserts to match MK5 GTI style  :D !
Not to my taste but it's your car and you can change it in the future.
Can't you get material similar to the original or are you wanting to brighten up the sober interior?
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #4
Reminds me of a TR7, I like it... always fancied them, someone near me must have one as you used to see it going in the opposite direction quite often.

Be even better if you went the whole hog and did the seat panels and maybe some door inlays, and the red carpet?

Reply #5
Reminds me of a TR7, I like it... always fancied them, someone near me must have one as you used to see it going in the opposite direction quite often.

Be even better if you went the whole hog and did the seat panels and maybe some door inlays, and the red carpet?

My first car was a TR7, it was an early one. 1977, which had an all black interior. I never liked the tartan. A friend had a later one with a tan and tartan interior, it was awful.

Anyway, I'd say doing the headlining is a subtle mod that would make it your own. It wouldn't be noticed by most people but I'm sure you'd get a nice sense of warm and fuzzy when you're inside and know you've done it.

Reply #6
Feel the pain. My headlining is starting to go. But the last time I took one out was my old 8v and it shattered into about a billion pieces so I’m a bit concerned about tackling it again!  >:(

Reply #7
One my MK2 headliners has sagged to the point it might be easier to just remove it. Thank fully its the car thats being rebuilt, seen a few cars with Tartan of various colours and all seem to go well with black. So I say go for it.
If its not got a VAG badge, I aint interested.

Reply #8
Sadly, it looks like I’m going to have to take it out :0 the spray glue I used didn’t hold. 

Reply #9
I had the same issue on my old red valver.
So when I done my latest one, I used this stuff...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trim-Fix-500ml-High-Temp-Spray-Adhesive-Heat-Resistant-For-Cars-Vans-Lining/254577390035?hash=item3b45feb1d3:m:mFF1_poMpLVl8zftCiQKBNg

That was a year ago and it's not dropped yet!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #10
I had the same issue on my old red valver.
So when I done my latest one, I used this stuff...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trim-Fix-500ml-High-Temp-Spray-Adhesive-Heat-Resistant-For-Cars-Vans-Lining/254577390035?hash=item3b45feb1d3:m:mFF1_poMpLVl8zftCiQKBNg

That was a year ago and it's not dropped yet!

I’ll take a look thanks :)