Skip to main content
Topic: Power steering belt keeps coming loose (Read 826 times) previous topic - next topic

Power steering belt keeps coming loose

My power steering belt keeps getting loose and squeeling, I got a new belt same make and part number as what was fitted dayco 11a0730c I think 11mm wide 730mm long?? Mine goes around the crank, p/s and water pump. It was very tight getting it on, was good for 10miles then started squeeling again. I tensioned it so I could get a 1/4 turn along the bottom of the belt and did the bolts up as tight as I dare without snapping them. Any1 have any ideas?
Thanks doug

Re: Power steering belt keeps coming loose

Reply #1
I bought a Meyle p/strg belt (10 x 730mm) for my 1.8 8v PB engine. Perfect fit.
Did you make sure the adjuster and pivot bolts were free, as mine was all seized up?

Reply #2
The adjuster bolt was seized but managed to free it up with heat. Pivot bolt was loose and I could move the pump up and down by hand. I noticed the new belt has worn probs about 1mm on 1 side so is probs about 10mm wide now, I assume cos it's thinner it's sat depper in the pullets and causing it to be loose. I've tighted it back up and tightened the bolts. Hopefully it's sorted now. Thanks

Reply #3
Fitted new belts to my valver few months ago, and now at 300 miles they need a second tighten!

Reply #5
I haven't actually checked the condition of the pulley, it's been alright so far since the last tightening. So I think @Eddypeck is correct about the thickness.

Reply #6
If a belt is ordered from VW its a 9.5 x 730mm that will be supplied 👍