Skip to main content
Topic: Front small bumper guide repair (Read 1331 times) previous topic - next topic

Front small bumper guide repair

Does anyone know where i could source a guide repair part for a small front bumper?

Not the wing plug, the runner on the bumper 👍

Have had a good look but can only find ones available for the big bumpers 😡

Thanks

Re: Front small bumper guide repair

Reply #1
I know the bit you mean. I've never seen them new so best bet will be asking for some off 2nd hand bumpers.
The good thing is these are the same on aftermarket bumpers and usually a good fit so unless you're an OEM stickler you should be able to convince someone to remove them from some knackered bumpers and post them to you quite cheap.
I did this for someone when I was asked.

They are pushed over lugs and the lugs hot melted. On refit some self tappign screws (stainless) do a good job.

Reply #2
Thanks, will keep an eye out for some cheap bumpers!

Had been compiling a wee list of tidy up jobs for the 16v and this was one thing i should address. Its not brutally obvious but i know its not right

But it has been like that for the whole 12 years i have owned the car and may now pass as patina 🤣

Reply #3
If I've read this correctly I think it's an adapter that allows you to fit a large bumper to a small bumper wing stud... if all else fails you may be able to adapt it back again to once more attach your small bumper?

Linky...

Reply #4
Thanks, will keep an eye out for some cheap bumpers!

Had been compiling a wee list of tidy up jobs for the 16v and this was one thing i should address. Its not brutally obvious but i know its not right

But it has been like that for the whole 12 years i have owned the car and may now pass as patina 🤣

I've got a ropey front bumper stashed away in my garage so will have a look at the guides on the weekend and let you know if they are any good.  If they are okay, happy to whip them off and send them to you if you would like them?
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #5
@rickygolf83 - Guides on my scrap bumper look to be okay.  If you want them, dm me with your details and I will whip them off and put them in the post for you.

1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #7
If you go slowly with an oversize drill bit you should be able to to realse them ok.
For refit, as I think I said about a stainless self tapping srew, maybe with a washer. You may get away with reheating the plastic, or even use a blob of hot glue but a screw would be my preference.

Reply #8
If you go slowly with an oversize drill bit you should be able to to realse them ok.
For refit, as I think I said about a stainless self tapping srew, maybe with a washer. You may get away with reheating the plastic, or even use a blob of hot glue but a screw would be my preference.
I was thinking the same about the oversized drill bit.  As the bumper is scrap, I might see if I can get a hacksaw blade through the post to ensure I don't distort the mounting holes.