Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel pumps not working (Read 1362 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel pumps not working

Hello everyone, I've just started work on my 8v K-jet and have not been getting any fuel up to the metering unit and the fuel pumps wont prime when the key is turned like they used to before I stuck it in the garage for a long time a while a go. I have replaced the pump in the tank because the old one fell to bits and I have also put a new fuel pump relay in, I have power to the tank pump wiring (3 pin) and the fuel gauge moves when I move the float.

At first I thought it might be something to do with the alarm that has been fitted a toad something or other. Would anyone know how I can test the in tank pump to know I havent bought a duff one and the pump under the car so I dont go buying one without needing it?
I dont have a power probe so can i just connect up some crocodile clips to the pins and it will run?

Cheers everyone

Re: Fuel pumps not working

Reply #1
Take the relay marked 17 or 18 and swap it with the one that’s directly below it (or above it, I can’t remember but check F for fuse box ce1 in the knowledge library).

This will change the fuel pump relay to ignition live. Turn the key but don’t start the car and you will get the pumps running permanently and not just for the second of prime. You should get the chance to hear and feel vibration of both pumps. You can pull the plug of of each and test one at a time so there’s no confusion about which pump is running. You may need to lift the black cover from the boot floor.

This is the simplest way to test but don’t drive like this. If you have an accident the fuel pump won’t shut off.

If the pumps don’t work in this set up then you can investigate further. But you’ve ruled out the relay and

If the pumps work in this set up then pumps are fine but likely relay is faulty.

Re: Fuel pumps not working

Reply #2
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you mate, I did what you suggested and didnt get anything. I have bought a power probe and did a quick test on the fuel pump plugs and as far as I know the wiring isnt broken at all and im getting good reading from the pins on the fuse box to the fuel pump relay, I'm still getting to know the power probe so I'm not 100% sure on how to use to correctly lol but on the pins on the fuel pump plugs the probe was lighting up the negitive light on all of them. I'm going to check them all again when I get more time as i checked them late today and had to do it quickly and didnt get a change to note any of them down