Skip to main content
Topic: Golf mk2 16v gti cutting out (Read 548 times) previous topic - next topic

Golf mk2 16v gti cutting out

So my 1990 golf Gti 16v has gone through a lockdown refresh under the bonnet. Weve done a full service, painted the block and manifold. Polished the kjet lines, sheeved alot of wires and in general just tidied everything up.

Put it all back together and it fired up, revved up to 3,000 on its own and then cut out.

Over the last week we have checked the isv, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the airbox, checked for any leakes, checked the vacuum hoses, checked the ecu, pretty much checked all the normal culprits.

Tomorrow were going to check fuel and make sure fuel is getting to the engine, also check the kjet system.

Any other suggestions? If you keep the revs on it will stay running but keep revving and hunting.

Thanks

George

Re: Golf mk2 16v gti cutting out

Reply #1
Hi mate, where you based? and do you pay well......  Hopefully you're getting close to narrowing it down.  I suppose could be fuel? pump, i had issue with in tank 1 before, but to be honest wouldn't even turn/or rev when that failed.  let me know if you want me to pop round with anything, before i leave home for unit in the morning.. like the pressure test kit. 

Re: Golf mk2 16v gti cutting out

Reply #2
Is the air metering flap moving freely in the airbox? also worth checking you haven't disturbed any of the vac lines. A vaccuum leak can play havoc with k-jet.

I'd try and rule out the basics before you start twiddling with K-jet, if you go down that route and it's a false alarm you might make things worse. see link in my sig file for my k-jet resources. hope you sort it