Skip to main content
Topic: Oil pressure warning (Read 781 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil pressure warning

Hi folks
Have any of you knowledgeable folks ever had issues with oil pressure warning buzzer ??
Prior to me replacing the head gasket I had the buzzer go off on a couple of occasions, oil level and temp were all good and I used to change the oil twice per year, roughly around every 2500>3000 miles .
So while I had the engine in bits I decided to change the oil pump and the oil pressure sensor , all back together now and while running it up the buzzer went off and oil lights flashing again!! Without having an oil pressure gauge I can’t actually check the pressure , it’s very intermittent which is confusing, so after changing pump and sensor it’s still exactly the same !
It’s a 1990 8v
Any pointers would be great thanks

Re: Oil pressure warning

Reply #1
Hi, could be loose connection on the senders, broken wire try them first 1 on head, 1 on filter house.  Then its check filter is correct, or that the pump is working correctly. Had to consult the oricle (rubberjonny) for a mk1, i had the terrible buzzer, after changing cork gasket for rubber on rocker, i changed pump, filter, flushed 2 times, and in the end was a filter didn't have internal check valve so pressure wouldn't stay high. changed brand of filter and all was well. Also when installing pump, did you prime pump first?pour oil in it turn and then block end with vaseline. I know sounds daft, but seems many people have done this, you can also see oil pump is working if i sucks or blows when turning slowly byhand.

Reply #2
I never thought about the filter tbh, It is the same brand of filter I had on before when I was experiencing these symptoms, I will look into that, seems odd to experience exactly the same symptoms after changing the oil pump hence why I was leaning towards electrical, I never ran any kind of continuity checks just replaced sensors and made sure connections were good,
Strange how there’s no pattern to the buzzer going off, doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold , driven hard or cruising ,it will just randomly go off and scare the living daylights out of me

Reply #3
Had this issue recently after replacing my sensor. Turned out there are two sensors , one is rated for higher pressure (white). Could be your issue as don’t think ECP etc differentiate

Reply #4
Had this issue recently after replacing my sensor. Turned out there are two sensors , one is rated for higher pressure (white). Could be your issue as don’t think ECP etc differentiate

I have this buzzer, I am currently looking into sensors, but unable to establish where they both are - only heard they have two. Do you have some knowledge on this?
mine is a 16v, and I haven't checked the oil filter, but that is on my list to do. but since it was last replaced by a professional, I except the sensors might be at fault here.

Thanks,
/D
16v Red Walther, just stopping by from across the North Sea