Skip to main content
Topic: Mk2 valuation (Read 704 times) previous topic - next topic

Mk2 valuation

Any advice as to where I would get a value for my MK2 golf. It’s 1991 red 1.3, really good condition only done 24k miles. Was my wife’s granny’s so not moved much. Garaged it whole life!!!

Re: Mk2 valuation

Reply #1
There are a couple of decent looking early 1.3's kicking around for sale online at around £3k so based on your description I would think that yours wouldn't be far off that valuation.  For these, body condition is the key as mechanicals are relatively inexpensive and simple to fix.  The 1.3 isn't ever going to be the most desirable of cars sadly and many are used as base vehicles for engine swaps but if you do decide to sell, make sure you take lots of good quality pics and emphasise the originality of the car (pick out all the usual rot areas if they are sound) to try and attract the right buyer.  Don't forget that very low mileage cars of that age are likely to need as much mechanical fettling as a higher mileage car due the fact they do not get used and key parts have a tendancy to sieze or deteroiorate when they are sat idle.  Have you thought of recommissioning it yourself and using it as fun runaround?
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #2
I notice you've posted this question elsewhere but I'm replying here to keep the thread on topic.

Has it not moved in the last 2 years as the mileage hasn't changed?
If it's original as you suggest, as an old ladies' car, then I wouldn't bother changing wheels. Just make sure it's tidy and road legal - so maybe some fresh tyres which should be cheap if it's on the original steel wheels which I assume are 13" (or maybe 14").

There are so many questions regarding a valuation.
First, is it running and does it have a current MOT?
Then lots of questions about the general condition. If it's been well cared for and garaged then the condition could be great, but if it's an old granny's car (no offence meant) it might have dents and scratches depending on how capable the old lady was before she hung up the keys.

Please provide some more information and post up some pictures - it could be a proper little gem you have there.

Reply #3
The car is very very clean. Just about to get her serviced and mot’d. The old rims are prob its worst feature. No dinks or scratches. Why not stick nice alloys on it?

Reply #4
Mileage hasn’t changed as it’s in the garage. Will have her up and running Soon. Maybe I will just drive it but reckon the wee boy racers would love this!

Reply #5
Will get some pics on soon!