Skip to main content
Topic: My other non Mk2 cars (Read 1424 times) previous topic - next topic

My other non Mk2 cars

Hi all,

I've loved cars since I was about 8. I remember being able to recite the 0-60 and HP figures of virtually anything mainstream from the back of car mags but adult life, buying houses and having kids meant my hobby sat on the back burner until about 3 years ago when I picked up this Corrado

It had nice history and was owned by 3 long term owners, then by a chap who bought it for his father but he sadly passed away and then by another person who i bought it from who had it a year and sold it on.

I've had lots done but it's basically fully refurbed now. The only original parts are the bottom end of the engine and the steering rack.

Upgrades consist of 263 cams, stealth racing remap (220hp up from 190hp stock) and Bilstein B8 shocks and Eibach springs. Plus a Miltek exhaust. OEM plus I guess is the theme.

Here she is on the dyno at Stealth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_r3Mx1i2-E

Fast foward to today and the Corrado is getting a respray as the paint wasn't quite right and there was a bit of rot around the fuel filler cap. It was also leaking water into the cabin which turned out to be rot under the scuttle tray - all cut out and fixed now

More to follow as it moves toward completion

Re: My other non Mk2 cars

Reply #1
Back in March of this year I picked up a cheap mk4 Golf  GT Tdi. It had a bit of damage ont he rear arch and sill but drove nicely. I bought it as my wife is a nurse and was working on a covid unit at the time. She could park for free in her London based hospital and I'd always had a soft spot for the mk4 having owned one for 5 years back when it was a few years old.

Note I do have the part for the rear door handle but am fixing the door mech. On these you have to remove the rear window - complete faff.

Damage when I bought it ...

..but i just can't not fix things and keep them nice so... got it fixed relatively cheaply.

It had also had a very light bump up front (it was still on it's original number plates) but it bent the crash bar enough to prevent the bumper fitting correctly and that bugged me a lot

so stripped it down and fitted a replacement

The last piece of the puzzle for this car was I replaced the suspension, fitted some H&R springs (came with the car, along with the door locks, mud flaps etc). I replaced all of the bushes up front too and the discs and pads. Lastly I was fed up of the leaky OEM boost pipes so fitted an upgraded Darkside intercooler and solid pipework.

I don't have a picture of the final product aside from it in the background of my mk2

I'll probably remap it to something sensible (PD130) without needing to do headbolts - so circa 165hp to make best use of the upgrades.

Reply #2
And lastly our family car. I bought this when it was 6 months old with a few thousand miles on the odo. It now has about 75k and has been a dream to own. The only non-serivce part I replaced are the rear brake pads in that time.

One of the reasons I am able to buy the mk2 and corrado is because I didn't bother replacing the Exeo when it got to 3 years old. I plan to keep it for the forseeable future.

Edit Gammon =  r a r e . Autocorrect seems to replace it with Gammon.

The Exeo is quite a Gammon old beast. The particular model is the 170ps sport tech of which there are less than 350 registered, It's actually  "uncommon" r than my Corrado which is also a Gammon car! The Exeo is base do the Audi B7 but with different front and rear ends and the later common rail diesel engines fitted. The dash is also the one out of the convertible.

These cars are really reasonable to pick and are no different to driving an Audi - solid.

Reply #3
Edit Gammon =  r a r e . Autocorrect seems to replace it with Gammon.

Ah, welcome to wonderful world of word replacement :D There are some words that will get replaced and r**e is one of them!!

Try typing the British car manufacturer beginning with V that is Opel in the rest of the world to see what you get.

You have a very fine selection of cars there.
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #6
Those cams made a healthy boost in power, very impressive!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #7
Thanks guys. I had planned to keep the silver golf for a few months and then shift it on but it drives so well - it's done 178k and has a fresh cambelt and waterpump too. It actually drives exactly the same as the one I had years ago, that was lower miles and newer at the time. The interior plastics are looking tired with VWs soft touch plastic coating peeling away but nothing some cleaning alcohol won't shift and leave a nice plastic finish.

The Corrado and 263 cams is a well trodden path in that world and Vince at Stealth is a master on the VR6. The 12v VR6 in the corrado is realitvely cheap to maintain with chains etc compared to the more modern R32s with their variable valves. Either way though that engine is expensive to maintain and i'm looking forward to working on my 8v GTi myself without eye watering bills.

The Exeo gets admirable glances but they are really reasonable - I can't see my one being worth more than 5k - if you join the Exeo facebook group there are often nice ones up for sale between £2.5-4k.

Reply #8
Vice certainly knows his way around the old VR engine.
We recently had him map the wife's Storm, he made a great job of it too!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #9
Well I'm possibly having a midlife crisis but I've picked up my 4th classic VW in an offer too good (I can't type how good) to refuse. I've agreed not break this car and get it back to fine health. The owner wanted someone who would take it under their wing and bring it back to life. I could never break a decent car anyway so with that plight I was all in.

It's a Corrado 16v with 81k on the odo. The owner had it for the last 12 years but lived in London and had no where dry to put it (more on that in a sec). It's sat for a couple of years following quite a few pounds spent on getting an idle issue sorted on the engine. Since the owner only covered around 1000 miles a year he would sensibly disconnect the battery and leave it in the boot. Unfortunately shortly after the engine work the bonnet seized and weeks of not sorting turned into a couple of years. At somepoint the boot also seized shut so he could no longer access the battery now stored in the boot.

Over the last couple of months the car had begun to let water into the cabin and this was the final straw to get rid of the car. So fast forward to today the car is now stored in my father in laws barn until I've sorted out my house move (sold my house 2 days ago!).

The only bad bits are, aside from the water leak, a rusty drivers door and a bashed arch.

My plans will be to sort the water leak - my white corrado had a similar issue which turned out to be rust under the windscreen but it could be something simplier like the sunroof drains or door membranes. Give it a good service and get it through the MOT. I'm looking to source a door in the in same colour and will pull out and repair the bashed rear arch.

My wife is very good to me and can see my love for cars so hasn't put any word of having to sell it. To be honest I would sell either the Mk4 Golf or the Exeo ahead of any of the older VWs. I have already got plans in motion with my brother to either do the scottish 500 or some other interesting road trip - he will drive this one and I will drive the white one or the mk2.

Some pictures!

On the trailer

Photos from the previous owner

Bad bits

Reply #10
I've had 4 GTIs over 20 years. Mk1, Mk2 8v, Mk2 16v and VR6. I have re-purchased my 16v again and am restoring it shell-up (in another thread).   Current daily use is an SMax for the family car, a Tesla Model 3 for work, and a Fiesta waiting for my daughter to learn to drive in it.  The wife doesn't let me see much of the Tesla, as she loves it so much, so I'm using the Fiesta ( a Mk6 I think) daily and must admit its fairly amazing. The SMax is also great to drive, in fact I love it for a journey.   Cant wait for the 16v to hit the road, though. Maybe it'll be ready in the spring....   then maybe I get another v6 golf, just to restore a bit...
16V GTI under restoration
Learning a lot  as I go along

Reply #11
Yes they do get under your skin! If i had more children a Smax would be on the cards. They do drive nicely.

Reply #13
Nice one Matt, looks like a great purchase and you definitely have a very understanding wife.

I am lucky although it does get used against me sometimes :D

Well the Corrado was actually Free so long as I didn't break it, got it back to good health and promised to enjoy it. So far my father in law has got the boot and bonnet opened. He has popped a battery on it and it has good spark but he says no fuel is coming through. I'm visiting him in a couple of weeks time so will have a look at the fuel pumps :)

Reply #14
Some pics from my father in law