Skip to main content
Topic: Hey - looking for a restoration project, advice welcome!! (Read 744 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey - looking for a restoration project, advice welcome!!

Hey All,

Brand new to this forum, so much cool stuff to look through I'm sure my producivity at work is going to into minus figures for a few weeks!

I'm looking for a restoration / modification project, any pointers on where to source a car, parts and stuff to avoid would be much appreciated!

Looking forward to becoming an owner and contributing!

Re: Hey - looking for a restoration project, advice welcome!!

Reply #1
Hi Welcome to the club.

Depends on what your budget and skill set is... you could take a change on a sub 1k car if you find a solid base..  or you could go 5k plus for a pretty much sorted car without mods, add to that another 2-3k for heavily modified versions.
So far ive mainly come across age related rust, bad wiring(worse than my own) and leaking seals. All of which can be sorted by the suppliers , vw heritage, classic vw.co.uk, matthew palmer and brendon moss on facebook. Anything is bosyshop and general servicing.

Reply #2
Miarahaba sy mirary soa ho any amin'ny klioba!

Reply #3
Thanks for the welcome both!

Skill set is LOW! Emthusiasm high, good combo for burning money any way I try to get into it right..

a sub 1k car with a solid base sounds like a good option if I can be confident even to judge condition, otherwise trying for something under 3k.

Reply #4
Hi, welcome. Here’s some things to consider.

What do you want at the end?

If you’re Looking to modify and not fussed about it saying GTI On the log book then it might be worth looking at a poverty spec starter. The arch trims on a GTI and the sill covers on later big bumper models can hide rot. A base model without arch trims will allow you to see the metal better. These days the best rot free shell you can find is often advisable.

All parts are interchangeable and everything  is MuchPretty bolt on so You can build whatever you want from a solid base.

Although if you go that way you’ll end up with drum brakes in the rear, smaller front brakes and no antiroll bars. And cream headlining and trims. not an issue you can upgrade that from a donor.

Or go for a GTI to start if that’s you end game.

A 1.3 that’s been modified to GTI spec will be a modified car, and could be more insurance than a standard GTI even though it’ll be the same.

If you want a heavily modified car I don’t suppose it matters what the shell is.

Bodywork and paint are probably the most costly elements if you can’t do it yourself.

Mechanically things are quite basic and it’s easy to learn and build confidence. Plenty of advice here.

Prices now are higher than they were a few years back. There’s some amazing all original or fully restored examples out there, but they are making big money.

For around £3k should get you a road legal tidy example which You can tart up a bit.

Bear in mind, even a total rot box will probably fetch £2k in parts of you break it. So a car under £2k is worth considering, because even if it turn out to be too far gone you should get your money back.

The most cost effective way to do a project is buy more than one. Use the best body, and the best parts and sell what you don’t need to fund any spending.

That’s my thoughts and opinions anyway.

Reply #5
Thanks Eddy, appreciate your thoughts ad tips, all are really valid, seems like you've got some experience!

Still undecided  on end game, I was leaning towards narrow bumper GTI, I'll see what I can find.

Reply #6
Hi, keep us posted.  Where are you located? 
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #7
Hey, will do, I'm in Leamington Spa in Warwks