Skip to main content
Topic: Help - MK2 Towbar on a 91 BB - Any Removable types? (Read 761 times) previous topic - next topic

Help - MK2 Towbar on a 91 BB - Any Removable types?

Can someone suggest a suitable towbar for my 91 BB Golf? I've surfed the net and it looks like the only ones available have a permanent ball and need a bumper cut-out, however a detachable one without the cut-out would be ideal.

Background
So we have a 4 berth caravan and it is the main reason we have the Octy Scout. However I've been surfing around and if I wanted to downsize on the caravan there are a few varieties of pop-top caravans that my 91 BB Golf or another small car could tow.
That reduces the need for a "big" car which isn't needed 99% of the time....and is another reason for not getting rid of my beloved !!!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Re: Help - MK2 Towbar on a 91 BB - Any Removable types?

Reply #1
I have a towbar with big bumper already cut.
I'm in Dorset so not usually near any one

Reply #2
I have a towbar with big bumper already cut.
I'm in Dorset so not usually near any one

Not sure what you mean?

Reply #3
sounds to me that sly gti has got a big bumper with tow ball, ready prepared to fit to your car..  add paint to match and go.  As per in dorest, means never anyone local... like me in ng22 0tu 7miles to nearest shop.

Reply #4
I've just noticed some on that well known auction website from a supplier in Germany the brand is Auto Hak. However the bumper needs cutting but unfortunately no pics!

Reply #5
I don’t think you’ll get one without cutting the bumper. So as above, getting one with a spare bumper already cut is a good option. They only bolt to the bumper mounts anyway.

Paint yeh spare bumper to match and swap over as and when you need it. Not quite as convenient as removal hitch as found on a modern car, but not too much hassle.... 4 bolts. You could fit the electrics with a couple of plugs.

Reply #6
For continuity resurecting my original post...

Auto Hac Towbar

So this is the partially installed removable towbar from eBay supplied by Auto Hac. It's a strong piece of kit but disappointed that I needed to file the chassis mounting holes by about 5mm since the brackets didn't line up width wise. However it is quite subtle. Although I have cut the bumper on the lowest return I haven't cut more hence the slight bow at the bottom. It is exaggerated in the pic due to the wide-angled lens camera.

With hindsight ,and as suggested, I should have bought a bumper with a towbar fitted. Recently there was one on FB locally for £70. Never did know if Sly'''s was up for grabs!

Why did I do it....
I want to get rid of the Octy Scout and have the option to tow one of those damned "Rapido" pop top caravans. Sheer madness! ......But that opens-up opportunities for its replacement!