Skip to main content
Topic: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.  (Read 5031 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.

Reply #105
Quote from: Monkey
Sounds like the love is coming back for the old boy [emoji2]
I'd say so too. We need a few months of nothing going wrong and we'll be happy! We had nearly a year of fault free motoring, for it all to go south after the national meet lol.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #106
For a little while now I've been aware of a ticking time bomb with our 3.2 VR6 in the Black Mk2. The harmonic crank pulley has lost its harmonic properties and where rubber had perished and fallen out, leaving it wobbling all over the place, (see first video) undoubtedly putting a lot of stress on the crank. Not only that, but this was a replacement 2nd hand OEM item from a low mileage car after the original did the same thing.
So I bit the bullet and coughed up for a Fluidampr pulley.
Removing the old one was a daunting task, but thankfully there was enough access to undo the large bolt with a windy gun and prize out the pulley.
Instructions to fit the Fluidampr were straightforward, ensuring the key was in place and then torque to 74lb/ft +90°... aka RFT!
Once tightened to 74 lb/ft the bolt was marked in its present position and where it needed to be. Lots of huffing and puffing, using a mighty breaker bar the torque was met. And now we have a wonderful wobble free crank pulley with alleged power gains of 'up to 11bhp' if you believe the hype!
A job that looked scary turned out to be nice and straightforward!

https://youtu.be/5RWKxYH9kCg

https://youtu.be/UnsLMsWLNZI

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #107
Does look like a nice piece of kit.

That old one looks completely shot! :o

Must check mine at some point!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #108
It's been a while, and a very long time coming (about 3 years of planning to do this) but today I decided to dye the bumpers and plastics.

Firstly, a bottle of Solution Finish at the ready.

I degreased the bumpers and plastics using Swarfega grease and oil remover diluted to a 1:50 ratio and used a soft brush to agitate the plastics to get rid of years and years worth of tyre gels and bumper trim gels I've used in the past. Leaving them looking very tired and faded. I then jet washed them and dried them using a clean microfibre towel

Using a foam pad (and wearing gloves) I set to work, carefully applying the dye sparingly. I perhaps could have taken the bumpers off for more ease, but I felt confident in my ability to not dye any bodywork, whilst ensuring full coverage of the plastics.

Progress

Front done

Side trims

Rear bumper - looking very tired indeed

Actually required two coats!

Then set to work on anything else I could get my hands on!  :))

So so happy the way they've come out and wish I'd done it sooner. The look is far improved over the shiny, greasy tyre dressing or bumper gel stuff I'd used previously. I lovely OEM matt finish. So time to wash the rest of the car to get rid of the dust and builders dirt that had accumulated thanks to roadworks the last few days!

Everyone - Solution Finish your bumpers and trim!

Reply #109
Great job!
Solution Finish is my personal go to too, not the cheapest, but definitely the best performing!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v