Skip to main content
Topic: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.  (Read 4988 times) previous topic - next topic

Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.

This is my poor attempt at copying over my thread from the previous forum.
If anyone can do a better job, please do it!
http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15306&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I just ended up throwing in the towel and going manual, but only successfully copied my own posts!  :roll:

Anyway...

Here are some shots of our newer mk2. In mint condition bodywork wise, unfortunately, the carb is rubbish, but thats not the point! It still looks fab!

It is a Mongoose full system stainless exhaust incase you're thinking...

Let me know your opinions!

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Re: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.

Reply #1
Haha, yes you can see a weepy rocker cover gasket, but the shots outside the house were done before its first service since we got it.

It's since had
a new rocker cover gasket,
Cambelt & Tensioner,
oil & filter,
sparks,
dizzy cap,
fuel filter,
new pads and rear drums adjusted,

Next step, replace the carb with a refurbed 2E2.

Yes the exhaust is fab, £250 too, which I dont thik is too shabby, its quiet as a mouse during idle, then roars like a beast when given the beans, but at motorway cruising, it doesn't drone. Highly recommend to anyone wanting subtlety/noise when required.

Pootle, just looked at yours, and its "SNAP" to our other one we have!

Click on the link on my signiture and you will see... I didn't even know what colour it was!

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #2
Hi Steve.

Cheers, it is a bit of a quality beast. Cost us 600 big ones 2 months ago which I think is pretty damn good for a car this immaculate!

BUT...

The carb is complete toilet, so we have shelled out £190 on a recon pierburg 2e2. Just waiting for that to arrive. Thought about the Weber, then possibly twin 40's, then thought against that quickly when I found out the price! Embarassed
The carb causes misfires, runnning on, high idle, runs rich, and the wax-stat is sh*gged. So to repair all of the bits would cost more than a recon unit. The Weber 32/34 DMTL required serious consideration, but I have heard of a lot of problems wth icing, bad fuel consumption, and my g/f drives it too and has no idea how to use a manual choke, and at over £250, ruddy expensive, considering I would have to declare to the insurance, so I thought a like-new 2E2 would be just the job, as when they came out they were the badgers nadgers. Only when they got old and poorly serviced they became crud. Also after lots of research, I found out that a new 2E2 actually provides more power than a Weber 32/34, and as I said, more mpg.

My plans so far are to keep it pretty much standard, not going to lower it, or if I do, it would only be by 20mm max, as our road has sleeping policemen all the way down and the front lip is mighty close to them as it is! I want to recon the alloys, or go the BBS route, but I like the alloys its got and I think they suit it quite well, they were just badly curbed by the previous owner.

Our other plan is to possibly put a 4-branch mongoose manifold on it, and braid the brake lines and have a few nice shiney hoses in the engine bay, but the big one will be to re-upholster the interior. Thinking black cloth, with royal blue stitching, including door cars roof lining and carpets. We are doing this because although the interior is generally mint, the old boy who owned it before us smoked in it, and we cannot for the life of us get rid of the stale smoke smell from the interior (Tried Fabreeze). Also the drivers seat has a fag burn in it, the roof above the driers seat is discoloured through fag smoke. AND the headlining at the back is sagging. So we thought to go tastefull, yet matching the exterior colour.

Long post, but I thought I would justify all my points, as I'm expecting some stick for not going down the Weber route haha.

You got any pics of your bad boy GL?

Reply #3
A couple of new shots.

Last weekend whilst the weather was half decent I thought I would give the old bus a good wash to get rid of all the road salt!

(Excuse the  quality pics, taken on my phone)

Newly reconditioned 2E2 carb.

Here we parked in Brighton Marina car park, came back to our car to find a mk6 next to us, so I thought it was worth a couple of pics. Certainly can still see the resemblance of the models even after 20 years!

Reply #4
A few more piccies of just before the fateful journey. in which the car was siezed...

After battling the elements on Friday, was umming-and-arring as to whether I should wash it, as it was threatening rain all day. At 6pm, I looked at the forecast, and horrah! It showed clear skies. So off I go, armed with 2 buckets, one for shampoo, and one to rinse the sponge, and a bottle of autoglym super resin polish, and finally, a bottle of Boiled Linseed Oil.

I was the car, just start the polishing on the front wing, then... It rains.  :x

So, I wait 30 minutes for the rain to subside, and in the process, give the inside a thorough going over (including back to blacking the black trim).

Rain stops, so away I go vigorously with a chamois to clear the rain, I pray for no more rain, start on the wing again, and... you guessed it. Rain again... 10 minutes pass, so I clean the boot out and sellotape and glue the headlining back up (bodge I know, but better than it was!)

Rain stops again and blue sky appears, so out comes the chamois again, and then time to polish. I go over the whole car and then try the Linseed Oil on the bumpers and black rubber around the windows etc. WOW. By the time I had finished, it was completely dark lol.

I'll let you decide. (These were taken just before setting off for Brighton, the morning after the big clean), but I think it looks pretty darn good!

A neighbour of ours has just bought a '10 plate Golf R (oh my God, its so nice!) So thought I'd get a shot of it!  :lol:

But now the car is locked away in Shoreham impound until Tuesday.  :cry:

Reply #5
Nice one. The carb when working well is great. Plenty pokey enough, and very frugal too. Regularly returning 40mpg. As for 47mpg, I can't match that lol.

Yea the car was impounded by the police, fully explained in general chat.
http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/modules.php? ... 73&start=0

Thanks for the compliment on the car. It is really in great nick, and the paintwork is far superior to many modern cars I have seen.

Dubdan, I'm of the opinion that the exhaust is fantastic, I love the subtle looks, and as you say, the sound is superb. Would love to hear it with a 4 branch mani too!

Reply #6
After we retrieved the poor Golf from the impound, I took some snaps whilst the weather was nice and it was still clean!

Here is the chalk pen on the windscreen used by the impound

These are the first interior shot I have taken of the car. Pretty good nick, apart from a cigarette burn in the drivers seat, evidence of smoking stains on the lining above the driver, and yes, typical headlining sagging at the rear.

Let me know what you think.

Reply #7
Got a couple of shots without the number plates on.
Looks almost naked without them!

But what a difference a new nice, clean pair of plates from a VW garage gives to the look of your car. Especially as the old front one was really scabby!

Hope you all think it makes as much difference as we do.

Reply #8
Hi. The recon 2e2 carb is fantastic. We have got another problem with the coolant, and a cold start misfire, both hopefully nothing to do with the carb.

On a good run, and a steady 70mph we can get 40mpg easy.
Diesels are good, and I can see the appeal, but they are a bit souless imo... Keep the mk2!

Reply #9
Got a few pics of Gumpert in the snow.

Here are the pics when it first started coming down.

My stupid dog got in the shot.  :lol:

Suddenly came down heavy during the day, got caught out in it.  :roll:

Infront of Gumpert's big brother, Yoda the Skoda :D

Hope you like!

Reply #10
Just went outside and saw these amazing frost patterns on the Golf and Skoda!

I thought it was impressive anyway!

Reply #11
Well a few weeks ago the poor old bus had a bit of a scrape against a brick wall, thanks to some dozey woman parking her mk3 right at the entrance of our car park, so nobody could get past it. Well, Miss Macmillions thought otherwise and tried to get past. Resulting in this:

:cry:

As you can see the metal was already starting to rust on the surface, even after a couple of weeks!

As it was severely spoiling the look of the car and the rust will only get worse, we decided we will get it sorted.

£240 lighter and this is the result.

Thanks Essex Autospray! The colour match is absolutely spot on, and the repair on the little dinks is not noticeable at all!
Brought our bad boy back to its glory!

Reply #12
Oh, thought I'd add this one too.
My Dad's '03 plate Megane died through not being used in over a month, so our 20yr old beast had to give it the kiss of life!

:lol:

Reply #13
Went out for a drive this evening, just for the sake of it and found this section of amazing country road in the middle of nowhere.

So out came the camera!

^^^ Who needs uprated highlight looms?  :P

Hope you like!
Been a while since Gumpert has had some attention.

Reply #14
T'was quite expensive I'll admitt, but it was unfortunately before I had made some contacts who would probably do the job for much less. But they have done a cracking job, so I'm not too fussed. :) Plus there's no way I have the skills/patience/knowledge to do it myself! It would have looked like a smacked bum.

And yea that road was amazing! We were completely lost and just driving round aimlessly and just stumbled upon it! The only sting in the tail is that the journey finished with our alternator dying. :roll: