Skip to main content
Topic: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.  (Read 4989 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.

Reply #30
Quote from: coxy77
Looks fantastic mate  :thumbs:

Also I'm delighted to see you have Sebrings <3 love them

Cheers matey. Yeah, the majority of the paint is excellent still, so very lucky. Does have a couple of spots now which need seeing to, like just below the driver's side rear light the paint has bubbled and a couple of small rust spots appearing on the sills now.  :(

Love the Sebrings, but they aren't in perfect nick and the tyres are shot. But considering we paid £60 for them, with centre caps, I can't complain!

Quote from: spcvw
Shiny !!! Your hard graft has certainly paid dividends, think ill be buying some of those cleaning products soon.

I had those alloys on a vauxhall ashtray donkeys years ago lol

Thanks bud!

Gotta love the Wolfrace's! Pahaha!  :lol no:  Easy to clean at least, but ours are buggered! (Not by us, I may add!  :mrgreen: )

The Poorboys (designed for dark colours, so probably not suitable for your white one!) is really good stuff. I could see the depth as I polished. The wax is something else though. Can't recommend enough.  :thumbs:

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #31
Gumpert's surprise revealed:

Complete 5dr leather interior, including door cars and 60/40 split folding rear seats.
No rips or tears, with just require a quick going over to bring the cracking areas on the leather back.

I couldn't possibly mention how much I paid either... Otherwise I may get strung up!

Can't wait to fit them!

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #32
Thanks Dave.

Indeed it is a standard one, but I honestly think the people I bought it from was unaware of that...

I have been given advice by hankmanus to try out some shoe polish to begin with and let it bake for a couple of days before buffing off. Nice & cheap - remember too that Jo has to have immaculate boots for her job, so that'll be her job! ;) If that doesn't work though, I will certainly try out that kit!

Now I've never removed a whole interior before, is there anything I should know? i.e. How do the rear seats come out? Door cards etc?

Also, as Gumpert is a GL, I think the steering wheel is a bit more luxurious than a standard wheel, feels lovely in comparison to other wheels. 8-)

Reply #33
Well, to say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement when I took the door cards off.
Check out the door membrane! And all the doors were in the same condition.  :thumbs:

Interior fitted:

I must admitt it wasn't all plain sailing though, as I think I may have found the reason why I got the seats for a song.
I failed to notice the non-standard seatbelt lock on the driver's seat... and the fact it wasn't mounted in the usual location on the runner. It was secured on the back hinge bar thing. Perfectly structually secure and safe in an accident, but the actual seatbelt wouldn't clip in to the lock - so not that safe!  :lol:
So poor old Gumpert had to donate his seatbelt lock and bracket for the cause! But it did not give up without a fight! The M10 bolt was on so tight I was obviously struggling, as the guys in the dustbin lorry collecting the bins came over and assisted!  :thumbs:  Legends.

All on securely and as it should be, so not too much of an issue in the end.

When Mrs Mac gets back she will commence the polishing.  ;)

Let me know what you think.

P.S. Cheers for the tips on the interior dismantling Dave. Came in use, otherwise there would have been lots of swearing when taking the door cards off. Also how difficult is it to fit the new handbrake bits?

Reply #34
I drove it to Chelmsford earlier today to pick up some bits from VW. It has been overcast all day @ about 20 degrees...

There was sweat.

I had to stand next to the car for about 5 mins before entering the showroom, as I realised I had sweat marks on my shorts! :sorry, what?:

Don't care though! It looks awesome, it smells awesome and is so comfy!

Reply #35
Ah, as they're a bit corroded, I'm going to get some autosol on them to BLING them up! I quite like having some polished metal on show. :)

Reply #36
Thanks very much mate.

May not set the world alight with performance and handling, but it wafts along merrily enough and looks damn good in the process, I think. A really solid, reliable old bus with still lovely paint. Just requires a few areas to get some attention, like many of its age and mileage.

In the process of upgrading the sound system now too. 8-)

Reply #37
Ah lovely, I will look into some of that stuff for sure.

We are upgrading the sound system probably to a small enclosed sub (underseat style, but with a enclosure for added sound quality) with new head unit. Didn't want it to take up all the boot, so just a subtle enclosure for the corner is what we are going for. We already have pretty new Alpine speakers in all the original locations (door, dash and rear parcel shelf supports) so just needed something that will take the bass away from them, so they can concentrate on the mid-high ranges whilst the sub concentrates soley on bass.

Thanks for the offer on the 6x9's but we are going to keep the existing set up, as I said, but with these additions.

Reply #38
I think with the appropriate set-up the Alpine's are very good, but our head unit is as of such that the speakers are trying to do everything and can't cope, so the sound isn't particularly great. Hopefully the addition of a nice Pioneer underseat sub (fitted in the boot, as ironically it won't fit under the seat of a mk2) and new Pioneer head unit with pre-outs will create the desired sound. I.e not shake all the bolts on the car loose, but just add that depth in sound that has been lacking.

Reply #39
Well I've broken down! Accelerator cable snapped and the pedal dropped to the floor with no power! :( am stood at the side of the road awaiting the AA.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Reply #40
Yes it was a black day. But fortunately was fixed at the side of the road, so the AA can uphold their stats of 9/10 breakdowns fixed at the side of the road haha! The guy was a nice old boy who commented on Gumpert's condition (and leather interior!) And said he used to have an F reg 8v GTI years ago.

Fortunately it was just the accelerator cable had popped of the bracket on the pedal where the bush has worn, so he adjusted the bracket and poked it back in. Will require a new bush though. But a free repair nonetheless! Hopefully yours will be similarly cheap to sort zmuzzy.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Reply #41
So this morning I thought before the apocalyptic weather comes in, I'll get cracking on a few jobs that have been niggling for years!

Firstly, the heater doesn't heat anything more than tepid. The matrix has been flushed (twice) in the past, all the hoses get hot properly, it's had new genuine thermostats, a new rad, water pump and dash temp sensor, so it can only point to one thing:
The foam in the heater box.

So, time to get cracking!
Firstly, remove the bottom parts of the dash (driver's and passenger side storage areas.) A number of screws into the upper dash and centre console. Remember which screws went where, as a couple are different lengths and the thread is different.
Remove gear knob errr knob, by undoing it anticlockwise, pop off the gear gaitor and undo the single screw towards the front. The centre console can now be removed by pulling it forward and manoevering over the gear knob.
The heater tunnel (or whatever it's called) is now exposed.
Unscrew the one remaining screw on the right hand side of the heater tunnel, this will free the lower section and some wiggling will allow that to be removed (Tip: push down into the carpet to give yourself that tiny bit of room required to get it out.)

You should be left with this, the heater diverter box:

^^^ I have already removed the black plastic nuts either side of the heater diverter box.

If you're like me, you'll be scratching your head wondering why it wont come out!

Remove the 8mm hex bolts either side of the dash:

One in the centre section (basically above the heater diverter box)

One under the glove box.

This will give a bit of movement to the dash with will be imperitive later.

Remove these screws from the dash vents:

The dash vents shall now pop out (note the little clips on the bottom of them, so push them up into the dash to aid their removal.)

This is what you should be left with:

Remove it by lots of wiggling, making sure the ducts are free from the pipework, this is where that extra movement in the dash is so important.

Have a beer to celebrate getting it out.

This was the state of our diverter flap. It should be covered in foam!

I used toolbox liner foam to cover it back up. But you can use anything, so long as air can't pass through it. Gaffa tape will do the job lol!

Tuh dah!

Also, if you open this flap by adjusting the direction of air flow using the dash control you will see behind to this:

This is the hot/cold diverter flap. Again, should be covered in foam.

And again:

Refitting is the reverse of removal (as says the Haynes Manual on so many tasks!) But just ensure your heater diverter box has fully located the ducts with the pipework. Also that the flaps fully operate and you haven't gone too over the top with your new foam.

So after all that, did I break into a sweat upon a little test drive?

Did I f**k.  :frustration:

So I don't know what the issue is with our tepid heating!

No to feel as though I had achieved nothing, I replaced our knackered kick plate after managing to source one for less than the going rate of 2 million pounds.

Before:

After:

Also, a new 1G handbrake surround.

Before:

After:

And also managed to get hold of some VW floormats to sharpen up the interior further.

Before:

After:

And finally, we have had the new sound system fitted!

May have a go at making a little box for the sub, but believe it or not, the bass produced is superb and the transformation in the sound is incredible. So pleased with it and they have done a great job at keeping it neat and tidy.

But yeah. A bit peeved at losing 2 hours of my life in achieve nothing.

Reply #42
Cheers matey.

Yeah I will be looking into it further now it's on my mind. Thinking about it, the only things that have yet to be replaced are the heater matrix itself, and the heater bypass valve. But the pipes in and out of the matrix are hot!? Gah!

Reply #43
It certainly is yeah. I did test that prior to fitting the foam and afterwards too, to ensure I hadn't overdone it causing to to not close fully.

EDIT: The pics actually show it in the fully hot position.

Reply #44
Gave Gumpert a good old wash and wax earlier whilst the weather was nice and snapped a few shots of him.

Also fitted the known working heater matrix bypass valve. The black platic bit I of the valve I took off Gumpert was in the open position (you could see through it), whereas the new one was closed. Anyway, fitted that, bled the system, but still got bugger all heating!  :frustration:

Well here are the shots after I washed him, as I like to whore him out!

Sneaky one of Hollie tucked away in the garage

Shiney shiney!

Next door's Limited Edition Corsa (bought in red because she saw Hollie and said, "I love a red car!")
Check out the orange peel!  :cool:

Now I managed to acquire some now indicator lenses which I thought would look pretty neat...
Before:

After:

:thinking:  :thinking:  :hmm:

Hmmm... Ahh... Errmmm... I... err...

I'm not sure...

What do you guys think?