Skip to main content
Topic: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.  (Read 5048 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.

Reply #60
Wish I'd done them Focus ST orange now! :wink: :
Well seeing them in regular silver is good to know, but comparing them against the colour we've got, I'm happy with ours. And as you say they are much better in the metal. Mrs Mac's dad said they look like a spare wheel! Rude. Haha.

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #61
It's the little things that make the difference.

New genuine aerial fitted today.

What a horrid job. Did not take into account having to take the arch liner off (i don't own a jack other than the 'widow maker' - which I refuse to use, so that made getting that off fun!) and feed the cable through the bulkhead, therefore taking half the dash out. Sadly the radio won't work at the moment as the connector for the aerial port in the radio is different on the new one. I tried dismantling the old one to use that but it disintegrated when I so much as looked at it. Nuts.

Oh well, it looks 100x better than the old rusty bent one (thanks to some scrote).

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #62
So tomorrow Gumpert is going away for some pampering...
Ooo I cannot wait! :cool:

Reply #63
This kind of pampering:

The guy who did the paint on the wheels (PistolP) on here is tidying up some of the rust scabs on the sills and rear lights. Thankfully the update is that it's good old Germanic rust and not rotten. Obviously was hard to tell until you start to remove the paint and see the metal.
Bring on the national meet!

Reply #64
Only minor thankfully, but best to nip it in the bud before it suddenly starts costing £££ as it needs whole new wings/sills/panels welded in.
Will get the hankmanus treatment shortly too as I know he's itching to get his mitts on it!

Reply #65
Got him back. Absolutely top work from Pete. So happy with the results.

So much better now! Thoroughly recommend this guy's work as he's great to chat to, knows his stuff and a real perfectionist.
Supersmart Repairs in Whitham.

Reply #66
It's the little things that count.
To clean the front end up I got our old chrome VW badge with lots of chipped paint, flatted it back and sprayed it satin black, swapped it with the current chrome badge and voila!
I do prefer the look, especially with the (nearly) black alloys.

Before

After:

Reply #67
It was G who had it. Turned out to be a slipping power steering belt. As the overheating only happened during wet weather and when driving at speed, I put two and two together and realised the belt could be slipping, and only afterwards realised the belt also drove the water pump!
A full service, including new belts, fluids, discs, pads, rear shoes and cylinders and new Michelin tyres on order, all is running beautifully.

The badge I think will look a bit better once I've treated the grille and bumper to some restorer stuff so it is all the same colour.

If we change our minds, the shiny chrome one is tucked away in the garage with the mountain of spare bits. :lol:

Reply #68
It was time today to pop a Brave Pill and have a go at Gumpert's paint with a machine polisher, with the guidance of hankmanus I have acquired some Dodo Juice Limeprime, Limeprime Lite (for maintenance) and a set of 3M 3" pads (Green, Yellow & Blue). Today I set about the swirly paint with a Bilt Hamber clay bar, the full fat Limeprime and yellow pad with the polisher set to 1200RPM. Then go over with Poorboys Black Hole and seal with Collnite 476 wax.

Before:

After:

Time for a few of my ugly mug in the reflection!  :lol:

And now just some general shots.

Dust on the lens of this pic.  :roll:

Showing off his new boots. Michelin Pilot Sport 3's all round.

Dust already laying!

Not perfect by all means, but happy I didn't 1. Burn the paint, or 2. Hologram the paint. Could do with a more aggressive cut, but will leave that until I've built up confidence with using the polisher, then will attack it again with Limeprime once more, then maintain with the Lite. As I don't want to make the mistake of continuously cutting back until I've got no paint left!

Let me know what you think.  :smile:

Reply #69
Thanks chaps! We do have another AA badge, with a mounting plate that actually works that we thought about fitting to Hollie, but left it as is, so it's a spare. Haha.
Hank, I used the 3" pads. So took a while, but well worth it. As you say, got more depth to the paint.

Reply #70
6 months ago blue smoke started appearing from the exhaust and performance (all 90bhp  :lol: ) has been dropping off steadily.

The wife and I decided that as the bodywork is in very good nick and my mechanic assures me the car is very solid, it's time to throw in the towel with this engine and go down the conversion route.

After deliberating for about 3 minutes, we decided on a VR6. After another minute of discussion it was finalised to head down the R32 route.

Finding one, was a different matter, it seems!

After much searching I managed to get my hands on a 61k Mk1 Audi TT V6 that had had a front end whack (barely), but was a CAT D write off as a result.
After having it delivered to Tom Rich's Waterwerks, the strip down began.
Unfortunately I can't take much credit in the work being done here, as I would have set fire to my garage trying to open the bonnet,  :sorry, what?:  so have enlisted in the skills of Tom Rich (a site sponsor on here) to take on the project. What a help he has been, by the way.

Inlet removed for paint. Rocker cover is away too.

Golf engine bay

A bit less under the bonnet

The old GL lump

In my opinion the most exciting part - Quaife LSD

Bird's nest!

A erm.... 'unique' interior on the TT...

Trackslag mid section. Oof.  :party!:

Corrado VR6 Subrame and Crossmember

DSG Box going spare...

Can never have too many spare bits!...

Until you get a puncture on the M25 and have to take it all out again...

I'll be keeping the updates coming, as the momentum is going to build up over the coming few days and week!

Reply #71
Cheers guys.
Yeah he's going to be a bit of a weapon, but look nothing particularly special, as externally will be identical, barring the Trackslag exhaust. So Sebrings wheels remain, as well as the GL splitter! Inside we're also sticking with the Mk2 gear knob and 4+E bit!
We'll certainly be giving him a thrashing round the National Meet track! Got to show Tommcc that he should have gone VR!

Yeah Jimmy I've seen your car at Tom's unit. Looks like a good one and they have made your installation look damn nice. Can't wait to see the finished article with ours.
We are running simply G60 brake setup. No point in going for more on the road as it'll just lock the wheels up unless I went for track tyres.
Suspension we are sticking with the Spax PSX shocks and springs but with front and rear ARBs. Was bought for the car before deciding on a conversion, so is mk2 spec. The shocks will be fine but the springs may need uprating to cope with the extra weight. Will see how it rides and handles and if necessary either uprate the springs, or budget depending, go KW Coilovers.
The Trackslag exhaust is also going to have the first production R32 conversion downpipe, so very much looking forward to seeing this!
Bought the LSD from Darkside Developments. Very helpful folk there who talked me through what I needed.
As I'm using a Golf V5 gearbox (shorter ratios and final drive) we required an O2A one, which surprised me!
I've been reliably informed by many though that the LSD will be the biggest single improvement on the cat, so can't wait.

Reply #72
I know what you mean. I should have supercharged it at least!

Reply #73
Haha, cheers. It should be a pretty good one we hope!

Tom and his mate are fantastic at what they do. Very relaxed approach, not pushy in any way, but offer advice everywhere required, plus answer my million questions I've fired at him.
They also are genuinely excited by this project too, which is great as a customer. So everyone is itching to see the finished article.

From what I've experienced so far I would seriously recommend Tom for his work.

The brakes have only sold in principle, but I'm not holding them or anything, so if they sell first then the guy understands. So take a punt, go mad and have some serious stopping power! :D

I'll find out about the spare for you.

Reply #74
Oh... I can only try and flog bits! :angel:

I thought most people were aware we were going down the R32 route as we'd plastered it over most of Facebook, but not on here! :ban?:

I'll find out about the spare for you. Puncture repair kits are bloody usesless!