Skip to main content
Topic: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.  (Read 5069 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.

Reply #75
Will keep the thread updated. Tom has informed me that the project will start gathering pace at an extreme rate this week and next. Can't wait!
And Baz, will be great to see you at the National.

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #76
Obviously one thing that can happen when doing something like this is it can bring any flaws to the surface. Generally we were pretty confident the old faithful was in good order and would require minimal work. Well it turns out Gumpert had a secret of his own...

This was the offside rear most subframe mount bolt, which had been previously wrapped in electrical tape and impact gunned into the hole, as the captive nut had gone. Basically someone previously didn't want to have to cut and weld a new captive nut in place so bodged it by doing this, putting the occupants and other drivers at risk, as had the other bolts been knackered and it failed we could have lost the wishbone and rear engine and gearbox mount.

What's a little scary is that this car is a 3 owner car - owned by us for 9 years, serviced meticulously by a mechanic we trust, who would also tell me outright if something wasn't right. Previously the car was owned by an old boy who had it since 3 years old. This bodge must have been in place for at least 9 years! All it took though was two turns of a socket, a whack with a hammer and out it came!

It does also make me wonder what some other cars out there are like, especially ones like 20 owner cars, most by DIY mechanics who bite off more than they can chew, bodge it and flog it to the next owner...

Keep your eyes peeled out there folks!

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #77
Starting to come together now:

New polybushes. Have gone for Superpro, due to the stainless construction of the tubes.

All in place

Fitted to the car

Another slight gremlin.
Being sorted by the man though.

G60 calipers and carriers all painted

Servo tidied up.

And now for the best bit. The pedal box
A work of art Water Werks!

Not long now!

Reply #78
I hadn't noticed the lack of clutch pedal! :thinking:
I know that the accelerator pedal is drive by wire and the clutch is hydraulic, so therefore I'm guessing mounts separately?

Reply #79
Sorry, only just noticed this post.
We are using Corrado VR6 radiator and fan setup. Should be ample to deal with the R32.

Reply #80
Well we've ended up plucking for a new 16v brake servo. As nice as the old one looked, it seemed pointless recycling old parts such as that, so went for a new one.

Rear disc conversion is on, V5 gearbox is back from having the Quaife LSD fitted and synchros replaced as a matter of course whilst off the car.

But the most exiting bit is the rocker and inlet are back from paint...

Engine mounts

Rocker cover powder coated in satin black

VR6 Flywheel (using Sachs VR6 clutch kit too)

Coming together

Rocker on

Now my favourite bit...

The inlet is actually sex. Plastic primer and high temp gloss black top coat and lacquered for good measure.
Going to go for blue coil pack covers (from the R36) as I prefer the idea of keeping to the theme of having blue and black. Gumpert's old HT leads were blue Magnecor ones and they looked smart against the black rocker cover.

The pace is picking up now. Just some modifying on the front engine mount to be done and then the engine will be in situ, allowing for the Trackslag downpipe measurements to be finalised.

Reply #81
You can certainly have a passenger ride!
We think it's looking fab too.
Mark, just because you don't like seeing the 4 rings on it! It's part of the attraction. ;)

Reply #82
Hopefully it will do well on Curborough, but sadly that may be all undone by poor driving...
It will be good if it does help with Waterwerks business, as their work so far has been excellent and top quality, with continuous updates of what they're doing and how long each process should take.

Engine is going in this week so am awaiting pictures... :D

Reply #83
A few more updates...

A few of the required chassis notch... welds left not completely ground down just for some additional strength. Something I'm more than happy with, as I would rather as much metal remains as possible when messing around with the chassis.

Engine and box now tidied up

Offered up to the bay

In situ so wiring and pipe work can be positioned, and also so measurements for a certain section of exhaust can be drawn up...

Reply #84
t's got a Corrado VR6 subframe and crossmember, so the engine sits slightly lower than if using just a Mk3 Golf VR6 one, not only that but the engine will sit straight too and not on the wonk like so many.

Tom has told me that the piece of metal used for the chassis notch is actually 2mm, whereas the original chassis material is 1.5mm thick, therefore will be more than ample in a shunt, God forbid!

Reply #85
Well after quite a few months of waiting on the development of the Trackslag exhaust to be researched and developed, I receive these pictures from Waterwerks...

Trackslag downpipe - NOTE: This is a prototype for the production models, so does contain an extra couple of welds that the final version would not have. I'm happy to have this as it is.

Now the real head scratching was to begin. How do you code an engine, running OEM management that was previously a DSG to run in a Mk2 Golf running original clocks etc?

Reply #86
Then, two weeks after receiving these previous pictures, 10:30pm Gumpert was home.
Could resist in getting some pics!

Reply #87
Barely able to sleep due to the excitement we were up bright and early to view the Golf in the daylight.

We were not disappointed.

Loving the little Waterwerks logo. Black on black looks so cool.

A very happy Mrs Mac

A little video of the maiden drive.
https://youtu.be/nNZm0MPplY0

This thing is seriously rapid and the throttle response is electric!

Sounds great too!
https://youtu.be/VRuZADc2PbA

Reply #88
After all the anticipation of this I cannot emphasise at how happy we are at this conversion.
No corners have been cut - although we did specify we want the job done 'right' not, just so it works. The guys at Waterwerks have been on board throughout the entire project and their attention to detail has been second to none.

Anyone thinking of a conversion, or even just some engine work, give the guys there a shout. Don't let location put you off either, we're based in Essex and they're near Bristol but aside from the day we were getting the car back it did not prove an issue.

Reply #89
After 7 months away it was time for a well deserved wash!
No polish though, as it got too hot and I didn't want to bake it on. So that'll have to wait until the National Meet prep.

Rather looking forward to getting stuck in polishing and waxing this in preparation for the National Meet.  :jackson: