Skip to main content
Topic: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.  (Read 5009 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.

Reply #45
Yeah, we are still undecided... They were advertised "would look good on a red Golf," which I agree they probably would, but I thought they may look decent on a black one. Errrrmmm... I can't quite work out if I like it or not.

Most importantly the lenses flash orange, even when using the clear lamps. Witchcraft!
Mrs Mac isn't 100% on them either, so will run them for a couple of weeks and make a decision then. We have the original lenses still and they are undamaged, so can easily revert back.

Cheers for the comments on the lotion skills. :thumbs:
I think Mr Hank Snr will be having his wicked way with this in the spring, as there's a few blemishes which I haven't the skills/confidence to address and I know he is dying to have a go to get rid of some of the swirls and old baked in wax which I applied prior to the National Meet lol.

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #46
Cheers Hairy.
Yeah the paint is still his strongest point by far (although the engine is strong too). But upon closer inspection there are a few areas that need addressing before they get any worse. Trouble with it being a daily is new issues appear all the time and if left, will only worsen.

Quote from: Sam Stirrup

Getting competitive? ;)

You better be coming on the friday, was a good drive last year and Jasmine might bring her bug!

I am competitive by nature.  :D
But he's had a bit of a going over since last time, what with the new interior and sound system, so once Hank has had a go, it will look right dead good! Was so annoyed with myself when I had washed and waxed him prior to the last national meet where I had left the wax on for too long so it baked on!  :wtf?!:

Honestly, I don't know if we are going to be able to make any of the days prior to the Sunday this year, as we are STILL waiting news on our mate's wedding dates. And there's a big chance it's on this weekend. But we have said we will not drink at the wedding (as it will probs be on a Saturday, like most are) and then drive straight from the wedding to the National and arrive at about 3am Sunday morning lol!...

But only in one car most likely... Oh no! Which one???

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #47
Isn't camber also a phrase for, "my suspension looks broken?"

Reply #48
Just walked past him on my way to getting in the Skoda to drive to work and I'm still not sold...

May have to swap them back sharpish if my mind hasn't changed soon!

Reply #49
Ooo no. Not for me I'm afraid. Will most likely just go back to standard if anything.

Reply #50
The grille would definitely stay as standard, as I think that is one of the defining features of Gumpert. 8-)

But perhaps the rears and side repeaters changed too would make it all tie in. Trouble is I've just spent £16 on the side repeaters (new from VW) as both of them would fall off when you cleaned the car lol! So I'm again reluctant to change them too!

Glad you approve though, and thanks. They arrived really quickly! I suppose, as nothing ever changes with the looks, it's a bit of a shock to the system to see him looking different! God knows what it will be like when we (eventually) fit the Sebrings! :terrified:

Reply #51
Been a while since an update on this thread, as all spare monies has gone towards my daily hack, the Skoda - requiring a pair of unscheduled tyres, costing a pretty penny, so it's been a case of little service items here and there to keep Gumpert running at his optimum.

Until now...

Some may remember Miss (at the time) Mac and I purchased a set of Sebring alloys for a song. Always with the intention of getting them refurbed with fresh rubber on them. Well it turns out that's not cheap either! For that reason I decided to go down the refurb route myself and transfer the tyres already on Gumpert, as there's still 5mm of tread left and the sizes match. So I purchased some wet and dry of various grades, scotch pads, took a brave pill and set about prepping them, to then use rattle cans for primer, top coat and lacquer. After posting a question on here, a guy local to us (Pistol P) came round and offered some advice and offered to apply the primer, top coat and lacquer at his business using spray guns, therefore 2Pac paint, as opposed to 1k from rattle cans. The only catch was I was to do the donkey work of sanding them down, removing the curbing and finally applying the key, whilst he'd then have the reqarding part of applying the paint.

Oh, and we wanted to go dark...

Well, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Pre prep:

During prep:

And after paint:

They are Mercedes Titanium Grey Metallic. They are dark, but not black, and the paint has a purple flake in the light and really is quite stunning. Getting the tyres swapped over on Saturday and having them fitted that day.

Big thanks to Pistol P for a cracking job.  :thumbs:

Can't wait to see what they will look like on Gumpert!

Reply #52
Well they're on!

Let me know what you think.  :terrified:

Reply #53
Thanks mate.
That was admittedly accidental, but the main intention was to not go black, as pure black on a black car can look a bit crap in my opinion, as there's nothing to break it up. The purple flake in the paint was the main reason for this colour choice though, as Mrs Mac loves purple!

Reply #54
BLSCO, yup the stealth look is progressing a bit, but not sure what to do about the indicators. If we go for tinted, then we probably would have to do the rear lights too, which I'm not a fan of on anything other than a GTI... :hmm:

Reply #55
Gave him a good wash, polish and wax. So time to self whore a bit more.  :winking:

And then on our way home from town we spotted Sam Stirrup and Zach just down the road from us, so had a little meet!

Reply #56
hanks hairy! Yeah the paint us still pretty good on him, especially considering it's done 163k and is used daily. A few dings and little scabs, but shines up nicely all the same!

Reply #57
Thanks Marco
Lol Bobby, it's a bit of a change I know and is still something we're getting used to. But according to Mercedes it's grey... Well it is, just! As I say, was a bit darker than expected, but hey, they're done and Mrs Mac and I like them lots. If they were just plain black I wouldn't have been happy, but I think they are just grey/purple enough to just break up the black going on elsewhere.
One thing's for sure, I need to get some paint on the drums at the back, they stand out like a sore thumb! Black again? Haha.

Reply #58
Not getting them Photoshop'd, as if I decide they look gorgeouser in silver I won't be happy, as there's no bloody way I'm redoing them haha! What do you think of them though, Mr OEM?

Reply #59
Wish I'd done them Focus ST orange now! :wink: :
Well seeing them in regular silver is good to know, but comparing them against the colour we've got, I'm happy with ours. And as you say they are much better in the metal. Mrs Mac's dad said they look like a spare wheel! Rude. Haha.