Skip to main content
Topic: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.  (Read 4917 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gumpert: 1990 GL 3.2 VR6 - Project Black Beast.

Reply #15
Lol, it seriously was in the absolute middle of nowhere, in some void between Braintree and Stansted airport. Not a building in sight haha! So I think a horror flick should be set there! Bit of a Blair Witch Project perhaps?

Yea, well Gumpert has been pretty sound, never actually broken down, except the day we picked it up, when the starter motor siezed. I managed to limp home this time with the alternator not charging. Fortunately I think we have a diesel battery on there, as it's MASSIVE! So probably saved us somewhat!

Yea, after finding out I can get the rear damage on the red Golf fixed for £160, I do think the repair on this one was perhaps a bit steep, considering thee red Golf's is more severe! But as said, it's been done to a high standard and I'm happy. :)

'90 Mk2 Golf GL running R32 Power. 'Gumpert'
'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #16
After a quick wash today I decided to fit Gumpert's new Christmas present.

One of these bad boys!

First of all, it came with a pair of ancient long nuts on the back, which were well past it, so much so, when I attempted to remove them, they sheared off.

Nuts.

So I knocked up a plate at work with some long screws and a pair of penny washers and nuts.
I removed the grille - all clips intact! RESULT!
This was then offered up to the grille:

Fitted the badge, refitted grille, stood back and prayed I wasn't tempting fate by having an AA badge on the car!

And one of the backside.

Let us know what you think!

'88 Tornado Red Mk2 Golf 1.8 16valve GTI. 'Hollie' - Winner of Best Mk2 GTI at the 2014 & 2017 National Meet

Reply #17
Wow, yours looks great too! To cure my OCD, could you not move it up one slat on the grille? :lol:

I was going to fit it on the opposite side, but we have also bought one for the GTI (yet to fit) but figured the GTI badge on the grille would be in the way, so put it on the opposite side on Gumpert, to match what will be on the GTI.

Did you have to make a plate up? As even with the long nuts the badge came with, I doubt it would have fitted securely.

Reply #18
Well Gumpert is back from his sick bed.  :lol:
I knew we were tempting fate by fitting the AA badge!  :roll:

Had a leaking head gasket, between the water way and cylinder no.1, so was steaming very excessively and running badly. Also using water at a rather alarming rate - 15 miles it would go from fully topped up to empty!  :shock:

Whilst the head was off, we decided on getting many things done whilst access was available.
So the head was fully reconditioned, compromising of:
Skimming
New valve stem oil seals,
New valve guides,
New valve seats,
Valves re-ground,
New hydraulic tappets,
New camshaft oil seals,

Not to mention:
Head gasket replacement,
New rocker cover gasket,
Exhaust and inlet manifold faces cleaned with new gaskets fitted,
New downpipe gasket and exhaust clamps,
New exhaust and inlet manifold bolts nuts,
New front engine mount,
New lower arm bushes.

I think that's it!

Running as sweet as a nut now. Performance greatly improved and now no tappet noise!

Shiney new head! (Beneath the old crudded up bits)

New front engine mount

He best behave himself now!

Reply #19
It does make it seem worth it!
If we had had it done and it ran fine, but I couldn't tell any real difference, I would have been happy, but the added performance, smoothness and quietness of the engine is unbelievable! Wasn't exactly a noisey engine to start with, but the tappets really were taking a hammering!

The twin lamp grille is something we have considered, but there's something appealing about the face of Gumpert. Plus, between you and me, I think non-GTI twin lamp fronts look a bit bug eyed... Did I just say that on a Golf mk2 forum? :shock:

The 16V has the twin lamps anyway, so at least we get our fix by looking at that! :lol:

Reply #20
That's good then.
I like the fact it's not a GTI and isn't pretending to be. No wheel arch trims, front splitter or anything. When we bought it, we had the money to buy a GTI, but chose not to at the time.

It's not often you see a big bumper'd Mk2 with single lights that hasn't been modified either.

Reply #21
I don't know exactly. My mechanic said it was merely a preventative as the area around the water way and no.1 cylinder had corroded slightly. He said he could have re-fitted it with just a new gasket and it may have been fine, but for the sake of an extra £50, we both thought it wasn't worth risking, so had it skimmed.

I don't know if it's to do with the timing being set very slightly out (on purpose), aswell as the head work, but the performance is improved greatly. I know it's only a shopping trolley 1.8 GL, but the power delivery is silky smooth.

What a car! :lol:

Reply #22
As you know Gumpert very  "uncommon" ly gets any new looks...
But we have just purchased something rather special for him...

Reply #23
*In an Aussie accent*

"Can you guess what it is yet?"

Oooo...  :geek:

Reply #24
Prepare to be jealous then! Or for those that don't like them, sod ya!  :lol:

(You know your stuff Neil!)  :ugeek:

Managed to pick a set of four including centre caps and albeit knackered tyres for £60 on good ol' ebay! Only an hour's drive too.

A bit of curbing on the edges but the faces are clean and the wheels are straight.
What a result!

Hence why I have been asking odd questions regarding tyre sizes and gearbox final drives and ratios. As they will need new tyres and thinking of reducing the aspect ratio to 45 instead of 55.

Currently sitting with 185 55 R15, but although are the exact same size overall as what's on Gumpert, because Gumpert has 195 50 R15 the tyre for some reason doesn't appear as 'balloon' like.

Let me know what you think.

Reply #25
Took some photos after washing Gumpert today in the surrounding countryside.

(Gah! Had just washed it too!)

And now my favourite:

Let me know what you think. :-)

Reply #26
OH yes definately. The Wolfraces (or whatever they are) are going to be the winter wheels. Sebrings still require a light refurb and new tyres. Low on the list of priorities at the moment. Got the red Golf to get shifted by Christmas, as it's in my parents garage at the moment... and they have sold their house! :shock: So money (which we don't have) has to be thrown at that. Plus the small matter of getting married in April...

Gah! Where's my lottery ticket gone?

Reply #27
Haha! Yeah it is a bit of a dogging spot I reckon! There are loads around here! Especially Hatfield Forest nearby us! :lol:

Cheers for the comment though. I love the way the light shines through the trees on the car. Looks great I think!

On one pic, you may notice that the painted area below the rear bumper has got smears on it. This was from nearly 2 years ago where I applied linseed oil and then it rained... then ran... And I cannot for the life of me get the bloody stuff off now! Anyone got any products to use?

Reply #28
Would the white spirit not ruin the paint?

Very funny. Seems to be more Tesco car park burnouts to be honest... Can't do a doughnut in a Saxo!

Reply #29
Tried out a load of new products on Gumpert:

Please bear in mind that I only apply by hand - I don't have a rotary polisher or DA. On my wishlist though.  ;)

155,000 miles and original paint.

Started off by rinsing the car off with the good old garden hose!
-Autoglym Shampoo - Two bucket method, of course!
-Dried using microfibre towel.
-Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, to remove fine swirls and paint imperfections. Applied using Autoglym polishing cloth. -Buffed off using micrfibre cloth.
-Poorboys Black Hole to fill swirls and polish. Applied using applicator sponge (never used one before, but was very impressed by how evenly it allows you to apply), buffed off with microfibre cloth.
-Waxed with Collnite 913 Carnuba Wax. Applied using applicator sponge with hot water and buffed off with microfibre cloth. Lovely wax to use. Applies with ease, but more importantly, buffs off with ease. I have some Collnite 476, which is a much harder, allegedly more durable wax, but it's a pig to get off if left on too long and bakes.
-Wheels cleaned with Autoglym Alloy Wheel Cleaner and stiff brush.
-Wheels sealed with Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal. Sprayed on to alloy directly and buffed off with Autoglym polishing cloth. (Alloys are in sh*t condition, so pretty pointlessm but hey!  :lol: ) Can't afford to put tyres on our Sebrings yet!
-Tyre walls cleaned with Autoglym Tyre Dressing. Applied with applicator sponge.
-Exhaust cleaned with Cillit Bang (yes!) and kitchen sponge.
-Exhaust chromed with Autosol Metal Polish. Applied with old rag and buffed off with clean part of rag.
-Glass cleaned with Autoglym Glass Polish.
I was going to apply boiled linseed oil to trim, but the weather was looking murky and I didn't want to apply it, for it to then rain and it run and stick to the paint like sh*t to a blanket... like it has done before!  :cross:

Let me know what you think.

Pleased with the depth of the black - thanks to the Poorboys, but to get the imperfections off, I need a rotary polisher I think!

Nice reflection!