Skip to main content
Topic: A772 TUL - MK1 Black 5-Door GTiEngineering Car - Auction... (Read 586 times) previous topic - next topic

A772 TUL - MK1 Black 5-Door GTiEngineering Car - Auction...

Still visit the Car and Classic site every so often for a nosey and this was bang at the top of the page, so hard to miss… seems to be a new feature where they spotlight certain vehicles that are up for auction.

I'm still into MK1's and put an identical post up on the Owners Club site in case some of you see it

I remember quite a few years ago there was a thread on that forum on this particular car when it was up for sale previously at Eclectic Cars (you can see their dealer plates in some of the images).

Not sure if they're still on the go - did a quick Google and just a few dead ends?

Anyhow, from vague recollection there was much debate on whether or not 5-Door GTI's were avaiable and at that time the concensus was yes - but as a Continental Europe thing only. The thinking too was it was probably a personal import (as was very common back then) later done up by GTiEngineering.

The auctions almost over… I don't know if the link stays live after it ends for you to view.

Car and Classic

Like they say, something's only worth what someone's prepared to pay so the current / final price is immaterial and I've no opinion on it. Having said that, if money were no object I'd be having it!

The people auctioning it have, in my opinion been better than most at representing the car. Very clear images showing everything as it is… no steering clear of the untidy or grotty bits, just unvarnished, honest images - good to see, some of the turds I've gone to view look like completely different cars to the one being advertised.

Re: A772 TUL - MK1 Black 5-Door GTiEngineering Car - Auction...

Reply #1
As a side note:

Car and Classic were bought last year by Cazana - the people that do one of those vehicle history check sites. They then started recruiting for the web development positions, hence some of the changes and new features you may start to see on the site.

If you've ever done a look up on Cazana (you may need an account) you'll see an estimated value for any car, as well as any historic for sale adverts if it happens to have crawled them from other websites previously. It's quite good.

Now, as I understand it the strategic move here was to use the information gathered from posted advertisements and final sale prices to improve the quality of their valuations and make themselves the no.1 site for classic car valuations etc.

Re: A772 TUL - MK1 Black 5-Door GTiEngineering Car - Auction...

Reply #2
Think the original link is broken... Try this instead https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/1983-mk1-golf-gti-gti-engineering-KgZ183

Went for £21500 in the end.

I suppose credit where it's due and they're trying to address the issue of values, if even it's for their own gain.

Having a recognised value is probably most useful to insurers and the like... something universally agreed to base premiums or pay outs on.

When you have a certain type of car I think it tends to make you notice their prices more when they come up for sale, though what someone asks and what they get can be two very different things and something you'll likely never know.

There must be countless reasons that can't be quantified as to why someone pays what they do for a given car - An old owner / they had one like it in the day... it goes on and on.