Skip to main content
Topic: Noisy engine on start up after oil change * (Read 584 times) previous topic - next topic

Noisy engine on start up after oil change *

Just done a oil change on my 1.6 driver i bought the car recently so have no info on history etc.
I used Euro car parts TRIPLE QX 10W-40 Semi Synthetic oil and Bosh filter first question is this the correct grade for the engine? it is high mileage 147k.
The engine was fine before the oil change but now on start up (from cold) its very noisy, suspect Hydraulic Tappets?
Why would it be worse with new oil?
It does quieten down quite a lot when its warmed up but is still there.
Any fixes or anyone had this problem i cant be the first?

Re: Noisy engine on start up after oil change *

Reply #1
First off, Yes it's the correct grade oil and the ECP Triple QX stuff is fine. I've ran it for years.

However I have heard people criticise Bosch filters.... not Mk2 related, just in general. Unfortunately I only heard this after fitting a complete Bosch service kit into my Mk5 GTI - but it hasn't blown up yet so I'll take the Facebook 'expert' opinion with a pinch of salt.

(Side note, in the motorbike work, K&N oil filters got themselves a bad name after a rogue batch that failed - hard to change peoples minds after that kind of incident)

What was the oil like that came out, thick/thin?
Did you use any kind of engine flush?
Could be you've just cleaned out the gunge that was 'damping' the sound.

I suppose you could drop the sump and make sure the oil pump pick up is clean, to ensure oil is making it's way to the top of the engine effectively on cold start up - I'm sure someone more technical will be along soon with other advice.

Re: Noisy engine on start up after oil change *

Reply #2
As Mr P says could be a number of things.... did you bin the old filter? check part number matches. Theres a back flow restriction in some filters and not in others, which keeps  some pressure in the system. My recent experience was on a mk1 cabby, i changed rocker gasket, from cork(OEM) that had been advisory for 3 or 4 previous MOTS and exchanged for rubber. Noticing corking inside rocker i thought  do an oil flush and change, then i got the low pressure warning, and heavy tapping noise on the 10 mile  drive home, (I work in garage servicing cars)  I checked at home oil was there, so I topped up with STP to thicken, the tappets sounded better but the low pressure warning came on again,  dropping oil out and checking pump i noticed was full of cork, and debris, replaced pump, and put fresh filter, still buzzer, replaced old filter and buzzer went away again. This i was told was the non return backflow function of some filters. Rubberjonny was guiding my checks, as it had me baffled.  now bought 8 filters for my cars lol.