Skip to main content
Topic: How do I Replace the Ignition Barrel with the original key? (Read 1178 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I Replace the Ignition Barrel with the original key?

I believe Eddypeck did a write-up on the old site.

My ignition lock periodically plays-up. I put the key in and sometimes I can't turn the key at all, give the key a wiggle and that generally does the trick. Assume there''s a bit of wear somewhere. How can I retain the use of my original key?
I see GSF have replacement barrels on offer atm.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Re: How do I Replace the Ignition Barrel with the original key?

Reply #1
Sorry, I never did a write up but I did raise the question. I have a non-genuine lock set with a non-gen key.

I also have a full set of genuine keys, almost brand new. My old Boss gave them to me. He wrote off a cabby back in the 80's when it was just a few months old. He kept the keys so the key cutting of them is really sharp, if you know what I mean. Not rounded off with 30+ years of wear. I thought it would be great to match my locks to this set of keys.

Door barrels is fine, and I've already done a boot lock. Basically dismantle it, there's a select of brass wedges, each one numbered 1-4. You put them back in one at a time till you work out the sequence e.g. 1-4-2-1-4  ... then you can match your locks.

You can fine tune by filing them down a bit if needed.

Since you want to match your ignition to the doors you could just take out a door lock and note the sequence.

As far as I know ignition barrel is exactly the same principal, I just haven't taken one apart yet. If the barrels are cheap enough it might be worth buying 2 so you have spare tabs to get the right sequence. I would say use your original but then if they are worn that wouldn't help.

Reply #2
Thanks Tim. I remember being amused about you using a file for final adjustments!
So do I read it correct that the "tabs" are one of 4 sizes and it is the sequence they are inserted that makes them unique? There can't be many combinations based upon the fact the key is symmetrical!

I've bought a new ignition barrel from GSF. I might see if a locksmith can match it to my key since there isn't an obvious way to remove the end which goes into the ignition switch. It can't be too expensive.....

Reply #3
Quote from: AndyBa
So do I read it correct that the "tabs" are one of 4 sizes and it is the sequence they are inserted that makes them unique? There can't be many combinations based upon the fact the key is symmetrical! .....

Yes exactly right, can’t remember how many slots there are 6 or 8 I think. So still plenty of combinations but bearing in mind how many cars there are potentially keys out there that work in more than one car.

Reply #4
In case it helps -

When I bought my car, it came with a different lock and key for the passenger door. I wanted one key for all doors, so I sent the offending lock barrel to Crazy Quiffs, along with a spare key, and they sorted it for me. They must have a stack of those brass wedges to hand.

I don't recall the cost but it wasn't a lot.

Reply #6
Thanks. I live in Sheffield and we have a few locksmiths. I did ring a local auto key chap but it became clear he didn't deal with old keys!

Reply #8
Thaks Tim. I'll take a looksee !