Skip to main content
Topic: Golf Mk2 - with 20VT engine (Read 581 times) previous topic - next topic

Golf Mk2 - with 20VT engine

Hello

Some of you may have seen that I am looking for a Mk2 Golf van, and have been for some time.

Although ideally after a standard unmodified one, I have come across a 1991 one, in reasonably tidy condition - BUT it has a 20VT conversion.

From what info I've gleaned from speaking to the seller and seeing some advert photos, it has:

'AUG or AGU' engine
wired in with 'proper loom'
TDI gearbox
VR6 clutch which is hydraulic
Coilover suspension

.....the rest being believed to be standard Mk2 stuff - including the brakes!

Whilst I know my Mk2's quite well, having owned four unmodified ones since 1989, I know very little about 20VT conversions - other than it was the 'modders' engine conversion of choice from the early 2000's onwards.

My main initial concerns, having not yet gone to see the car yet as its 200 miles away are:

Standard brakes with 150 PS plus power - surely inadequate and likely to have insurance implications?
'Coilovers' not getting the best press regards ride comfort, compared with decent standard shocks and springs - which I've always been used to
How well the conversion was done  - electrically and mechanically
Reliability of these engines and more importantly availability of spare parts, ability to repair service and upkeep

I'd be interested to hear of any experiences or views please, which I am happy to have posted here.

Thanks

Richard

Re: Golf Mk2 - with 20VT engine

Reply #1
I don't know what brakes a late spec van would have had as standard. What engine would it normally have, a 1.6 or 1.8 carb or non-turbo diesel I'm guessing???

Often car derived Vans have uprated brakes anyway due to the assumption they will carry a load, although as it's only a small van maybe not.

If it's drums on the rear and anything less than 16v brakes up front then factor in a few hundred quid to upgrade them accordingly.

As for the conversion itself its anyones guess. I'll assume there's no history or proof of the donor vehicle. however if it's priced right the worse case scenario you strip it out and go back to standard. There's enough people doing engine swaps that stock engines are fairly cheap and readily available.

Take into account the mk4 donor could easily be a 20+ year old car.

As for coilovers, I had the same reservations and had Koni Adjustable shocks in my last one. My current one I bought with cheap coilovers and 17" wheels already fitted. I was expecting the worse based on this combination, but actually it's not that bad, not crashy like I expected and tbf not that different to the harsh ride of my stock MkV GTI, which has OE 18" Monza Allloys.

Also, check it's a genuine van if that's what you want and not just van panels.

Re: Golf Mk2 - with 20VT engine

Reply #2
Thank you for your reply.

As far as I recall, the vans in their original days were always  either 1.3 carb petrol, or the 55 bhp 1.6 diesel non turbo. What brakes they had, I dont know. Basic ones, with rear drums and solid discs I would imagine.

Regarding the engine, I totally agree with your comments regarding the likely age of it, from its donor car. It is this which worries me most, as I primarily I'm not after the power or performance so much, rather preferring a reliable simpler, less powerful set up, that is not going to saddle me with breakdowns, oil leaks, and the like!

Most of what I want the van for will be round town use, and general motoring - certainly not track days or anything of that sort.

Part of me is thinking if the van itself turns out to be OK structurally, and in good condition, there is always the option of replacing the engine with something simpler if the 20VT starts playing up. I quite like the stock 8v Digifant PB engine set up that I have in my GTI, which I know like the back of my hand, and gives more than enough power for my usage!

I'm hoping to go and see the van however maybe this week, and will certainly be looking into all these factors, plus any areas people reckon are worth looking at.

As far as the provenance goes, I'm told it was a van originally, a Gatwick Airport one, white with red stripe - although history check reveals several owners since.

Its registration number is J845 GWC if anyone recognises it.

I have researched on line and come up with two Facebook posts - one for its current owner and the one previously - both posted this year. Nothing prior to that.