Skip to main content
Topic: Hello all. (Read 615 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello all.

Just wanted to introduce myself seeing as I'm now going to spending most of my life here  :)
I have just bought my first restoration project for myself and my teenage son, its a 1990 Mk2 16v GTI, atlas grey. I used to have one many years ago but in black and loved it. General advice really on sourcing parts if there's nowhere you'd recommending particular?
My interior is the rainbow trim- all good apart from drivers seat- would you think a trimmer could match this or is it sourcing another?

Ill stop at that- its early days  :D
Tia

Re: Hello all.

Reply #1
Hi and welcome.

You’ve come to the right place.

VW heritage (or heritage parts centre I think they’re now known as they started doing other than just vw) have started to reproduce the rainbow trim cloth. So you can buy it new off the roll and get a trimmer to fix the seat. Alternatively, passenger seats generally Have less wear and the parts are transferable so you might be lucky to pick up a good one and swap over the fabric. If the cars a 3 dr the flipper on the back rest will be the wrong side. But you can stitch that up or get 5 dr cloth.

Heritage are also good enough for other parts, they have a wide selection and have starters to reproduce some NLA (no longer available) parts.

Although a lot of the generic parts they sell can be found cheaper elsewhere.

Mark Carter of https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/ Is a good guy and has most things.

And looking up B and B components on eBay can be worthwhile. They sell decent branded aftermarket and OEM replacement parts.

One of the first jobs most people find they need to do is the gear linkage bushes. It’s not a bad job, B and B do a full kit for about £25 and coupled with a mk3 weighted shift rod will transform sloppy gear changes.

Best of luck and please keep us up to date with progress

Reply #2
Thats truly amazing- Thankyou so much.

Reply #4
Hi and welcome hoping to see a build thread :)
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #5
Thanks for the warm welcome, looking forward to getting to know more of you. For now my search continues.....

Reply #6
Welcome. I'm doing the same as you with an 87 white 16v. In fact I used to own the car for a couple of years back in 1990, and have just  bought it back from its one owner since then.

Read about it here if you  like
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=280.0
Stripped and being sprayed. Engine reconditiioned and rebuilt.
Subframes and suspension next. Then wiring back in.... Then the interior....

Enjoy your journey / project.

Eddie
16V GTI under restoration
Learning a lot  as I go along