Skip to main content
Topic: Tailgate lock removal on central locking (Read 847 times) previous topic - next topic

Tailgate lock removal on central locking

looking for any advice on removing the lock from tailgate with central locking. stripped everything out but unsure on how to specifically seperate the lock from the central locking bar. Trying to strip it out entirely reafy for paint.

https://imgur.com/a/TPU7ZT7

Re: Tailgate lock removal on central locking

Reply #1
Please please please 😰😰😰

Reply #2
I'm going to put up some images over the next 30 mins or so... By chance I've my tailgate trim off at the moment and have removed my lock for you to see, though that wasn't in my plans just yet.

If anyone else is in the process of answering you I'll hold off as it'd save me a lot of time!

Reply #3
Sorry I can’t give specific details but I’ve done it and it no big deal and should be quite logical when you look. It might help to undo the 2 black screws holding the blue actuator in place might help. The c/l bar just goes through the barrel end.

Reply #4
I am explaining things while looking at my tailgate from the same angle as you when you took your images -

To the far right of the tail gate is the (blue in my case) vacuum actuator, this has a rod attached which through a series of bends turns back on itself towards the center of the tail gate and the lock (the same rod I've highlighted in one of your images)

The actuator has 2 x screws holding it to the tail gate - remove them altogether. There is no need to take any air pipes etc off, just those screws.

The rod connects to the actuator via a piston and a (white in my case) plastic holder. This holder has two clip in points and seperate hole that the rods end passes through. In combination they hold it securely in place

There is a smaller white plastic guide for the rod just along from the actuator, holding it to the tail gate... squeeze in and push up. leave it on the rod for refitting.

The actator and rod should now move quite freely within the tailgate.

Push out the rod from the right clip of the two on the white bracket near the piston mentioned above.

Inorder to unclip the second on you will need to rotate the entite actuator aaround by 90 degrees  so the rod pops out.

When both clip on points are no longer holding the rod it can be manouvered around to allow the rod end to be extracted from the hole.

Looks like you've alread freed the lock itself from the metal work... If so you'll be able to withdraw the lock, complete with rod still attached, some flexing required.

If your actuator etc. is anything like mine it'll be soooooooo easy to break something, none of it looks like it was ever intended to be taken apart again once fitted.

I took these pics after actually doing the removal. in the first the rods location is shown by an edited black line.

Probably as clear as mud, makes sense to me though! If I've not explained anything just ask...

Reply #5
Thanks guys. So to be clear- the rod stays attached to the lock itself and is able to be removed in one??

Reply #6
Yup...

Reply #7
Wow thanks so much, I’m just sad about the 3 hours I’ve spent on trying to gently separate it 🤣🤣🤣🤣