Skip to main content
Topic: Things to do for a service ? (Read 860 times) previous topic - next topic

Things to do for a service ?

I know this is pretty much the basics so shouldn't be asking, but just wanted a 2nd opinion and to double check I'm not missing anything.

I bought the car nearly a year ago now, and at the time it had recently had a service so I didn't bother doing anything and just drove it.
I managed just under 4000 miles in the 5 months before lockdown and since then the car has been laid up and now been sat for 6 months.

So I'm planning to give it a good service before I recommission it for road use again - not that I have any need to drive it yet.

Anyway, not just for my own benefit, I'm thinking as I'm going through this process that I could put together a new post containing all the basics as a kind of check list a new owner could refer to.

I know there's lots of common first jobs; gear linkage, heater matrix and heater box foam, and removing the dip/dim resistor for example but for now I'm just focusing on service items.

Here's what I've got so far:

Basic service
Oil 10w40 Semi Synth (although I used to run 5w30 fully in my old one)
Oil Filter (decent brand with no-return valve)
Air filter (replace if paper otherwise clean appropriately if a long-life e.g. K&N, ITG Pipercross type is fitted)

Replace these additional items
Distributor cap
Rotor arm
HT Lead set
Spark Plugs
V belts

Recommended for a more complete service
Coolant flush and replace
New thermostat
Brake fluid change
Gearbox oil change
Cam belt change
Timing check

Next level - professional intervention maybe
Carb tune up in non-injection
Professional set up if K-jet

Tyres, brakes etc should be obvious and picked up by an MOT if any issues so I'm not too worried about those. In my case I fitted 4 new tyres already.

Is there anything else I've overlooked?
Would you add PAS fluid drain and replace or is that best left alone if no issues?
Would you bother to replace cap, rotor and leads if it's running OK, or just do a visual check and only replace if looking worn?
Would you go further to say drop sump and clean pickup and remove cam cover and replace gasket for mk3 (8v) as recommended thing to do or just as optional?

TIA

Re: Things to do for a service ?

Reply #1
Fuel filter?

Reply #2
Is there any preventative maintenance to be done on the handbrake mech on MK2 rear calipers? I've changed to MK3 but earlier this year I found that the handbrake cables were stiff meaning the brakes were binding. Possibly due to the rubber cable covers not being seatef correctly.
Likewise the rear brake pressure regulator. That was replaced a few years ago because it had siezed.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #3
The handbrake mech on the rear callipers just get dirty due to the position. On early cars the mech was on the bottom then later they flipped it to see if that helped. Mk3 and mk4 replacement are considered and upgrade but they’re no better imo. Mk4 actually being the worse as they are aluminium which even though won’t rust it still corrodes and  Chemical reactions between alloy and steel... well you may as well weld it!

Just keep a check on it and ensure it stays clean and Moves freely. Jack car, chock wheels, let off handbrake and manually move the lever on the Cali per to ensure it moves and returns as expected.

Reply #4
People think the cables are the issue but it’s not usually the case it’s the handbrake mech seizing. They thin cables are stretched and over tighten which just makes the whole situation worse. If one side goes the handbrake cables will off balance so one will be slack and one tight at the handbrake lever. I’ve had the handbrake itself snap on early cars. Later ones have a different handbrake - possibly a design change to solve this issue.

I’m fairly certain my brakes will be binding after 6 months of neglect.