Skip to main content
Topic: Getting difficult to select 1st gear when engine is warm - now fixed (Read 2498 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting difficult to select 1st gear when engine is warm - now fixed

Hi all,

My missis has a 1991 1.6 Driver that has done 40,000 miles from new.  Most of the miles were done by an old biddy that had it from new until 2015 and it is likely to be the original clutch.

Selecting first gear is getting more difficult especially when the engine is warmed up.
All other gears are fine, including selecting reverse.

The pedal travel seems fine and clutch bite is when the pedal is a couple of inches from the floor. No clutch slip. So apart from the first gear selection everything else is good.

Any ideas please?

If it does need a new clutch is that a DIY job ?

Cheers
Richard

Re: Getting difficult to select 1st gear when engine is warm - new clutch ?

Reply #2
Just in case 'when warm' is a red herring, have you ever done you gear linkage bushes? This is the usual cause.

Hi Eddypeck,  that might be a good call.

I have just been sat in the car with the engine off. The gear shift is very positive with no slack but there is definitely a bit of resistance into first gear.

So it would be worth changing the bushes to see if that sorts it.

Would I just need the bush kit Heritage do https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/191798211s-gear-linkage-bush-kit.html

Reply #3
It's better to get the more complete kit, that includes the main rod and the ball as you may as well do the lot. I normally get from tierod69 (B and B) components off eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK2-and-GTI-GEAR-LINKAGE-KIT-C20/190302240879?fits=Model%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+II&hash=item2c4ee5c06f:g:9RgAAMXQs6FRSTC-

and if you don't have one fitted already the weighted rod from a mk3 helps and if you can get them metal rods to replace the plastic ended ones.

Again eBay, this guy sells them https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/beefjerkey22 but doesn't list them anymore for some reason. He should sort you out if you ask. I've had a few sets off him so just say you were pointed his way from a post in the owners club.

Reply #4
Oh and when it's done you'll need to align the gearstick. You can buy a tool but the 2 times I've done this the 1st I just did it by eye and the 2nd I made one out of cardboard after downloading the dimensions as a PDF.... because I'm cheap

Reply #5
Hi,

So I have changed the linkage bushes under the bonnet as well as the relay. I didn't do the weighted or metal ended rods, just the ones that came in the ebay kit.

The existing bushes were pretty worn and the relay was breaking up so it was good to replace them. I then set the gear shift position.

The kit came with them but I haven't replaced the stick bushes as the shift is really positive with no free play.

I think it is a little better but still difficult to select first, could it be a gearbox issue ?

Reply #6
I'd check the alignment. There is a tool to line-up the linkage but you can use an old cassette tape to the left of the gear lever or even just have play. I recall adjusting mine. 1st was fine but I couldn't get 5th!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #7
Hi, I did do the alignment and the shift is fine when the engine is off.

Reply #8

I'd check the alignment. There is a tool to line-up the linkage but you can use an old cassette tape to the left of the gear lever or even just have play. I recall adjusting mine. 1st was fine but I couldn't get 5th!

Hi again,  I had another fiddle with the alignment and I think it was that as it is much better now. It was only a small adjustment but I thin it is sorted.

Thanks

Re: Getting difficult to select 1st gear when engine is warm - now fixed

Reply #9
Good stuff. I didn't read the full post in which Tim had already mentioned doing the alignment but worth doing it again if it doesn't work right. It isn't fun driving a car with awkward gears!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel