Skip to main content
Topic: Wishing I'd Read the Manual... (Read 641 times) previous topic - next topic

Wishing I'd Read the Manual...

So earlier this week I removed the starter motor. I've done it a couple of times before so I don't need to check the manual....wrong. I didn't support the engine and now it's dropped it's being a real Pita to line back up again.....More haste less speed!
I've wasted too much time trying to line the engine mount in our all too early evening darkness.
My next course of action is to undo the steel waterpipe on the front engine mount to give more wriggle room.
This should have been such a simple task. Another lesson learned.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Re: Wishing I'd Read the Manual...

Reply #1
I made that exact mistake in 1999, pulled into a car park near Euro Car Parts.
Thought 'I'll quickly whip off the starter motor, take it to ECP, swap it out and drive home'
You can guess how my day went!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
I made that exact mistake in 1999, pulled into a car park near Euro Car Parts.
Thought 'I'll quickly whip off the starter motor, take it to ECP, swap it out and drive home'
You can guess how my day went!!

hah, that's hilarious! I thought me swapping the under car fuel pump in the office car park at lunch time was bonkers.

Reply #3
Hehe to both!
That reminds me...
This must have been back in the 90s..
Thought I'd change the fuel filter. The car was parked on the drive and the whiff of petrol was very strong....I know I'll reverse the car onto the front where its more open.
Undo the hose connectors an you guessed it a powerful jet of petrol straight in my eyes. I'd pressurised the fuel line.
Spent the afternoon in A&E with my eyes stinging regularly nipping to the loo to rinse them whilst waiting for them to see me. They didn't treat me with any urgency.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel