Skip to main content
Topic: Pierburg to Weber (Read 745 times) previous topic - next topic

Pierburg to Weber

Morning All,

I have just acquired a Mk2 Ryder 1.3l and as you may imagine the Pierburg carb needs some attention. The auto choke does not come on as it should and takes forever to go off once the car is warm. Once it is off it runs OK with a little hesitation at pull away. I have ordered a refurb kit, new mount and pull down mechanism.
However, the conventional wisdom seems to be to change to a Weber for simplicity and reliability all round, not least manual choke. This leaves me with a couple of questions. The carb I need seems to be this one from Classic Carbs.

https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/weber-32-34-dmtl-carburettor-conversion-kit-vw-golf-polo-1-3-1272cc

The issue is it only shows it as up to 1990. I emailed the company and they replied that they were unsure if it would fit a 1991. So my question is, will it? Is there a difference between the 1990 and 1991 fitment at all? It seems unlikely but I don't want to spend £400 for it not to fit.

Unfortunately Heritage don't do a carb conversion kit for the 1.3.

Thanks for your help  :)

Phil
Phil
All sorts of stuff done, lots more to do!

Re: Pierburg to Weber

Reply #1
Can't say for sure but I can't imagine there's any difference between 90 and 91, also worth checking the date of your car. It might have a 91 registration plate but when was it actually built?

I've no experience of carbs but as far as I have heard Pierburg is perfectly fine when working right and set up properly. So after you've fitted your refurb kit there might be no need to change it, perhaps spent some of that £400 and take the car to an old school car shop and get a decent tune up on it to make sure it's running at it's best.