Skip to main content
Topic: Geek altert - cars on TV (Read 400 times) previous topic - next topic

Geek altert - cars on TV

So me and the misses have been binge watching a show on Netflix call GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies Of Wresting).

It's a few years old and a bit of a giggle, I like the grumpy director character.

It's set in the 80s so I'm also loving the soundtrack, the clothing and the cars. Although the majority are American, they're still cool.

One of the main characters, a struggling actress has a nice little shabby mk1 'Rabbit' cabby. 

Thing is, to the best of my knowledge the cabby didn't come out till 1980. And I think series one was set 1984/5 if not earlier. So a struggling out of work, skint actress is driving around in at most 4-5 year old car? A mid 70's beetle would have been more likely.  

According to Internet Movie Cars Database (cool site) https://www.imcdb.org/movie_5770786-GLOW.html her's is actually an 86.

Anyway, I'm willing to let that slide.

But by series 2 she hooks up with a guy with a Jetta, a Camera man for local cable TV channel, again possibly not the best paid job inthe world...... thing is the Jetta is mk2, and not only that. It's a 90's spec big bumper Jetta, so late 89 at best.

:o  yep, that's right a big bumper one, at a time when Golf's still have quarter-light windows. Even pushing the boundaries of imagination and ignoring the spec, this would be a BRAND NEW car.

And just to confirm the date for a reality check, Series 3 starts with the Challenger Shuttle disaster of 1986.

But if you decide to watch it, don't be put off. There's cool Mercs, Beamers and a lovely Gold 911 in Series 3 as well as heaps of cool American stuff. Shoulder pads, big hair and ladies wresting.  :))